Manifold hits distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have finally found the culprit. I took off the drivers side valve cover and found some loose rockers. Pretty sure that this has been the main problem all along. I now have to check the new valve train over. There’s quite a few that are loose. I don’t see anything broken, but I do see where one of the rockers were hitting the cover, not bad though. But no metal shavings so I think the cam is ok.

I may have a couple of lifters that collapsed? I can push down on a couple of them a little bit, but the others I can’t. I know that some are being pushed down from the camshaft position. Should I be able to push the lifters with no pressure on them down at all? I have a Crower flat tappet hydraulic camshaft with their cam saver lifters.

Were the poly locks loose on the loose lifters?

Yes, you might be able to push down on them, especially if they were on the lobes so that the valve springs partially collapsed them while it was sitting, so the only resistance is the internal spring. You can crank it over long enough so it builds some oil pressure and see if that tightens them up any.

Were the poly locks loose on the loose lifters?

Yes, you might be able to push down on them, especially if they were on the lobes so that the valve springs partially collapsed them while it was sitting, so the only resistance is the internal spring. You can crank it over long enough so it builds some oil pressure and see if that tightens them up any.
I didn’t find any of the poly locks loose. The pushrods that are loose enough to spin are straight. I still need to check more, but everything seems fine except for being loose. I took the passenger side valve cover off too and everything seems good on that side. I guess I will just go through the firing order and check and reset the valve lash.

Back