Marti's Mustang by the Numbers book??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I just got a copy of Kevin Marti's Mustang by the Numbers (1967 - 1973), Third Edition First Printing. I was looking at the option production list on page 122 for 1973 to see how some of mine stack up and noticed there is lots of missing info or at least in my edition. It lists the options and the number of coupes fastbacks and verts made with that option. Unless I am missing something just going from memory I see 8 that are missing and I know there are more.

I do not see the following listed as options.

Leather wrapped steering wheel, 73 only.

Rear bumper guards.

Rear bumper rub strips.

Traction Loc rear

Competition Suspension

Floor mats.

Door edge guards.

Immersion block heater.

I know all of these are options they as shown on the Marti reports and window stickers I have but not in his book.

If you have a different edition or printing can you tell me if they added or corrected the omissions?

You know what I hate? When I read a book from a lauded Mustang expert that is chocked full of wrong information.

I can't name specific book titles or names of specific authors, but I cannot honestly say I've ever read a book by any 'expert' that didn't have some kind of errors or flat-out wrong information (in the way of pictures of custom cars meant to represent factory models, over-optioned cars, wrongly identified subjects, etc.)

I think I hate that even more than the several 250+ page books I have about '64.5-'73 Mustangs that have less than 30 total pages dedicated to '71-'73 Mustangs.

In the case of all the purported 'experts' in the genre (Bob Perkins, Rob Kinnan, Kevin Marti, etc.) - having all (or mostly all) of the information doesn't necessarily make anybody an 'expert.' I'd put our senior and knowledgeable members up against any of those guys any day of the week. ;)

David,

I have a fourth edition printing and they are not there also. Looks like they just ran out of space on a page and said that's enough.
Almost makes my point for me. ;)

Nah...my interpretation is that Marti's book only includes the most ordered options and was not intended to be comprehensive.

I just got a copy of Kevin Marti's Mustang by the Numbers (1967 - 1973), Third Edition First Printing. I was looking at the option production list on page 122 for 1973 to see how some of mine stack up and noticed there is lots of missing info or at least in my edition. It lists the options and the number of coupes fastbacks and verts made with that option. Unless I am missing something just going from memory I see 8 that are missing and I know there are more.

Rear bumper guards.

Rear bumper rub strips.

Traction Loc rear

Competition Suspension

Floor mats.

Door edge guards.

Immersion block heater.

I know all of these are options they as shown on the Marti reports and window stickers I have but not in his book.

If you have a different edition or printing can you tell me if they added or corrected the omissions?
I have the first edition:

No mention of the leather wrapped steering wheel, bumper guards, strips, competition suspension, floor mats door edge guards and block heater...

It does reference the trac-lok rear (6995 total). The rarest '73 option he lists is the ram air hood...

Rear bumper guards.

Rear bumper rub strips.

Traction Loc rear

Competition Suspension

Floor mats.

Door edge guards.

Immersion block heater.

No mention of the leather wrapped steering wheel, bumper guards, strips, competition suspension, floor mats door edge guards and block heater...

It does reference the trac-lok rear (6995 total). The rarest '73 option he lists is the ram air hood...
I think that is another screw up.

When he lists " ram air hood " I think he means ram air

Example in 71 he says over 36000 Mach 1's but only 8100 ram air hoods

David,

I have a fourth edition printing and they are not there also. Looks like they just ran out of space on a page and said that's enough.
The $24.95 price is pretty steep for the little paperback. I did not pay that got this copy of Amazon cheaper.

I thought the same thing when they filled the page they just stopped. In the front of the book they say "there are bound to be errors in here". Says "We checked and double checked everything".

It is not like one or two cars got the missing options either. They do report some things that are one off.

I have always been curious how many leather wrapped steering wheels were sold. You seldom see them. So I bought the book thinking it would tell all but the one thing I wanted was not there, lol.

Rear bumper guards.

Rear bumper rub strips.

Traction Loc rear

Competition Suspension

Floor mats.

Door edge guards.

Immersion block heater.

I think that is another screw up.

When he lists " ram air hood " I think he means ram air

Example in 71 he says over 36000 Mach 1's but only 8100 ram air hoods
Don,

I went back and he just did not use Traction Loc like Ford he put Locking Axle. I understand what he is saying on the Ram Air Hood only listing the cars that had the system. I think all 351 4-V Q codes got the hood with the engine but no ram air since Ford forgot to test. Of course the He did not that all were 2-V with Ram Air.

The Tutone Hood paint and locks not listed either.

Just shocked to see so many omissions.

Back