Max throttle on 1406

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey folks,

I'm about to hook up my kick-down rod again, I took it off after I added a 1/2" spacer under the Edelbrock 1406. If I remember correct I have to adjust the kickdown-screw in a way that with max. throttle the rod sits 0.2/0.3 mm before the stop.

So I was playing around last night trying to see where max. throttle is and I noticed the back 2 throttle valves didn't open up and it felt like stuff would break if I pushed further. At that point the little pump (that injects some fuel when throttle is applied) was pushed all the way in as well (top level with carb surface, if that makes sense...).

So, how can I tell if I have maximin throttle on that Edelbrock 1406?

Cheers,

Vincent.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the point that it feels like the throttle won't go any further how far open are the primary throttle blades?

Are you looking at the actual secondary throttle blades or the air valve blades? The air valve only opens by the air velocity being drawn into the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhhh, hold on. I get the feeling there are more than 4 blades allrogether? I was referring to the ones you see at the top. The ones I saw in the primaries were vertical eventually.

I'm going to print that manual! Thanks! I didn't realize there are 2 sets of plates in the secondaries. So I guess when the plates in the primaries are 100% vertical it has reached full throttle. Next time I'm with my car I'll adjust the kickdown and see how it works :)

Have a great weekend Don!

Back