MCA Conservator Group; Thoroughbred?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeowner A

Reaction score
As I search for a 71-73 that suits me, I've come across terms like MCA Conservator Group, Grille medallion, Thoroughbred. What do these terms mean?

In a nutshell, those are cars that are very original or have undergone very detailed restoration. They spend 99% of their time parked indoors and getting wiped off with diapers, then getting trailered to the next show.

MCA = mustang club of america
The terms are related to MCA registered cars and their sanctioned car shows and different classes.
Thoroughbred basically means unrestored. Original shape car. Original paint, only items replaced are wear items and replaced with ford parts, not reproduction.

https://mustang.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/NationalShowGuidelines-2021.01-fillable.pdf

Thoroughbred does not mean unrestored; most are restored but to exactly how it came from the factory with no aftermarket parts, and all parts having stamped dates as though it came from the factory (e.g. dates just before build date). This is probably the most demanding of categories, with unrestored close behind. Unrestored allows some patina and service parts from Ford (e.g. oil filter) from routine maintenance.
Grill Medallions are given to cars in various categories that have accumulated enough points via National Shows. Conservator cars are those with Medallions that have reached their judging limits and are shown as being "Conserved" with minimal judging.
There are Concours Driven and Concours Trailered cars that are restored to new-like condition, but contain reproduction parts and/or non-enamel paints.

Midlife is spot on. I have shown my 72 in Concourse Driven for the past 8 years. My car if it was original would not be anything left to show. My restoration was based on personnel and sentimental value the car holds for me and not for a trophy. I enjoy going to the national shows and sharing my passion for the hobby and catching up with people who I have built friendships with over the years. Thoroughbred is truly the pinnacle of the showing and restoration process. As Midlife indicated these are restored to the highest caliber and are judged to that same degree. My car is driven and if you had seen it last week prior to cleaning it up for the show in Indy it would leave one to wonder. I did get dinged for a few cleaning misses on my behalf and I am OK with that. I always look forward to getting my judging sheet back and reviewing their feedback. Judging of your car can be nerve racking, but if you put yourself out there it is to be expected. Judging averages about 3 hours in general. Please understand that some of these cars are rarely driven and definitely pampered. I respect people who choose that practice. It is their car and their hobby to pursue. I enjoy my car on nice days early in the morning with few others on the road. Please keep in mind everybody should have an opportunity in the hobby regardless of their finances or background. The passion for the hobby should be the central point and the opportunity to learn and share is what keeps me engaged.

Back