Mercury boss 351???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vamach1, you are correct- but the thread took a few turns, as many do.

See one of the threads above, "while I am on the subject"...

I was just attempting to clarify the R code motors. Or at least I tried.

And I guess I should have said "SOME owners and salesmen referred to these cars as 1972 Boss 351's" and "many INCORRECTLY ran the Boss 351 fender decals".

I am with you - no Boss 351 Cougars.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah.... My answer:)

I have a 1973 Q code that I am working to make more "BOSS" like. I still have a few things I need to do, but while looking I found an old vintage era article http://www.gapponline.net/2011/09/24/bossing-the-351/

It goes into a lot of detail that I am working with in my upgrade, though I am not being a purist as there was not Boss 351 in 1973

I thought we were validating whether there ever was a 71 Boss 351 Cougar.
In my reference, I was attempting to clarify exactly what would justify a COUGAR to be called a BOSS 351.

And, as far as I can tell, my point is not refuted. The literature from Ford indicates BOSS 351 refers to the car, and the motor is referred to as a

351 4V HO.

So if a person had a Cougar with a 351 4V HO Motor, there might be some justification for the Boss reference.

I helped a good freid of mine put a 429 in a 62 Galaxie Sunliner. He put 429 emblem on the fenders and took it to a car show where he was told the Sunliner didn't have a 429. He opened the hood!!! :p
5207366769_31a25a32e0.jpg

As far as I know, the Eliminator was the Merc version as stated above. No knowledge of a 71 like that

My cousins best freind has a 428 cougar eliminator with factory tri power....Sence i was a teenager we been tring to get it from him...Its a marti report 1 of 1...Its the only 4 speed cougar that was orderd with AC...Which i didnt think ford would do..but i guess who ever ordered that car must of had alot of pull!!..lol

As for the boss cougar...Naw...Then my mach 1 should be called a boss too..Cause mine has a 351 4v with the same carb as a boss 351...Just lower compression..lol

My cousins best freind has a 428 cougar eliminator with factory tri power....Sence i was a teenager we been tring to get it from him...Its a marti report 1 of 1...Its the only 4 speed cougar that was orderd with AC...Which i didnt think ford would do..but i guess who ever ordered that car must of had alot of pull!!..lol

As for the boss cougar...Naw...Then my mach 1 should be called a boss too..Cause mine has a 351 4v with the same carb as a boss 351...Just lower compression..lol
One of my favorite cars growing up was a yellow 70 Cougar eliminator with a 428 CJ. Big money now but back then you could afford one.

yeah I had a 70 Cougar xr7 with the 351 cleveland... nice car with an ORIGINAL 38k miles!! I bought it for 1300 thinking I would restore it. Dang thing all I did was rebuild the carb and she fired up after sitting for 30 years. Sold it when I found out my 67 was for sale. Sold the Cougar and a 65 Malibu to get the convertible.

But I joined the Cougar club in Florida and saw my FIRST 428 car!!!

I met a guy who told me he has a 71 cougar BOSS 351........

What the hell is that??
The Dorm supervisor at a Missouri College I attended in 1978/79, had a 71 Cougar that was factory ordered coming back from Vietnam (OkinawaNX, PX, MCX?). The option he got at the PX was the 351 Boss. The Mercury dealer that he picked up the car from was also a Pantera dealer offered to install a 5 speed for a good price. He let me drive that one a few miles. The Boss 351 Plaque was on the glove box with number of the engine. It did have 5 forward gears with a perfect clutch. That car had leather interior and power rear window (notch back). Sky blue with creme interior. Peterson wrote articles about these cars and book about them. It was scary fast. I had a Galaxy 500 with a 7 Liter but that Cougar handled as well as some modern cars.

Oh my, how times have changed! Back in the late sixties/ early seventies, the street trend was NOT to advertise about the cubic inches of your engine, if you did a swap, or had a stroker, but to play it down if you were battling it out on the street .There were a LOT of "sleepers" prowling the streets when these cars were new. Many guys ran small block badges on their big block cars to lure some other small block cars into an "impromptu acelleration contest". Ford, Chevy, we all did it. Vegas had V-8s, Pintos had V-8s, it was the times. Special cars, like Bosses, Z-28s, GT-350/500, "aero-cars", hemis, Stage 3s,and the like, were left pretty much as they were. Street rod guys might tell you that they just have a 283, when they really had a 327 or a 350 . The 427/428 Ford guys might tell you they have a warmed over 390. Many guys kept their hood pins locked so you couldn't see what was under the hood. Want to race? Pay to see, boys.

Last edited:
Oh my, how times have changed! Back in the late sixties/ early seventies, the street trend was NOT to advertise about the cubic inches of your engine, if you did a swap, or had a stroker, but to play it down if you were battling it out on the street .There were a LOT of "sleepers" prowling the streets when these cars were new. Many guys ran small block badges on their big block cars to lure some other small block cars into an "impromptu acelleration contest". Ford, Chevy, we all did it. Vegas had V-8s, Pintos had V-8s, it was the times. Special cars, like Bosses, Z-28s, GT-350/500, "aero-cars", hemis, Stage 3s,and the like, were left pretty much as they were. Street rod guys might tell you that they just have a 283, when they really had a 327 or a 350 . The 427/428 Ford guys might tell you they have a warmed over 390. Many guys kept their hood pins locked so you couldn't see what was under the hood. Want to race? Pay to see, boys.
You bring back memories, friend got dusted in big block SS Chevelle by another white Chevelle SS 396 car that we found out was running a 427 instead of the original 396 . This was back in the 80’s. Later my friends car was running a 454 .

Back