Misc. Exterior and Interior Odds/Ends

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got my mach mini console in the mail from WCCC today. Of course it just had to be the one with 2 screw holes drilled into the side. Is there a way to fill those up or did I get ripped off? Also I may be missing a radio mount bracket, not sure if the radio just sits in there with the knobs holding it in place
That is a high price to pay for a mini console. There are thousands of them out there since every car had either a long or short console. Yes you can fill the holes and repaint the console. They are molded from ABS plastic. If you have a broken up ABS plastic piece, grill, console, A-pillar cover and most of the interior plastic. Take the broken piece and get you a coarse piece of sandpaper 80 grit maybe. I use a sticky pack DA pad and stick it  to my work table. I sand the plastic and get me a little pile. Then mix Acetone with the plastic dust. A few drops is all you need. It will melt the plastic and you can use it to repair the part.

Always ask for lots of pictures before making a purchase.

Keep looking for the steering column sleeve and you do need the clip that holds it together. Again every car had one so there should be lots of them out there.

So I got my mach mini console in the mail from WCCC today. Of course it just had to be the one with 2 screw holes drilled into the side. Is there a way to fill those up or did I get ripped off? Also I may be missing a radio mount bracket, not sure if the radio just sits in there with the knobs holding it in place
I have radio brackets - do you need the large or small

Radio's need a support in the back or they bounce / move around on the shafts

The 60.00 mini console has holes in the side of it ???

I probably have some of them too
I'm not sure which radio brackets I need, I just have the volume/tuning panel.

As for the column shroud it turned out it was painted by the P/O and I peeled it all off and the plastic looks new underneath, phew..

Anyone know where the negative battery cable ground bolts to? The one half way down the cable. Its hanging there and is causing all my lights to flicker when i hit a bump XD

Anyone have a picture of how the radio compartment looks without a radio in it?

That helped me see I'm missing the rear bracket that bolts onto the radio, and I think there is one more that actually holds the radio in position

Anyone ever remove small rust specks off the magnum 500 wheels? How do I do it safely? I'm guessing polish with brass wool?

Anyone ever remove small rust specks off the magnum 500 wheels? How do I do it safely? I'm guessing polish with brass wool?
Several have posted about this in the past nothing new for sure.

I have a great way to remove the rust off anything, painted, chrome or raw steel.

Go to a local feed store for cattle or horses. They should have feed grade liquid molasses in 5 gallon containers, cost between $18.00 - $20.00. Get you a large heavy duty garbage can maybe Rubbermaid Brut. Mix 9 parts water or 45 gallons of water with your 5 gallons of molasses.

Of course you need the tire removed from the wheel to get it to sink. Suspend the wheel in the molasses and I left the one in the picture in for 2 weeks. When I took out I washed with Dawn dish washing liquid then lacquer thinner and then sprayed clear lacquer on the back side of the wheel and where the tire mounts. I waxed the front good. DO NOT PUT ALUMINUM IN the molasses will eat it up. Strange that we can eat something that will eat the rust off of parts.

If it is not clean enough just put it back in. You might take a really crusty part out after a week brush it some and put back in. Always hang the part so you do not get air pockets.

Cleaned parts will rust almost immediately so have one of the phosphate surface treatments ready top spray on and rub with steel wool. Then prep and paint as soon as possible.

This will work for any rusty parts. Will make loose paint come off if rust is under the paint. I have a 275 gallon bulk tank I do large parts in. I have something in there all the time.

It will not work if parts have oil or grease on them and it will get to smelling pretty bad after a while, lol. I am waiting for a bear to show up and go swimming one night.

I have done the entire dash stamping assembly, trunk lids, cast iron headers, heads, head light buckets, grill brackets and all types of chrome parts. Bumpers, inside headers for convertible, ash trays, you will have something in there all the time.

best vehicle pranks

I have located a very cheap rear radio bracket on ebay, and it was shipped the other day. Are there any other brackets that I need to hold the radio in? I will have to get a better look in the morning and check out what looks like botched speaker wiring.

Back