Mounting tires on Magnum 500s DIY

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spechti

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 (under restoration), 1973 Lincoln Mark IV (show boat)
Hi everyone!

This is a topic I already posted in Motor-Talk last year, but I think it might be of interest for others, too.

When I bought my Mach1 resto car, there were tires on the car which were old and worn and they came in sizes which could never be driven on german roads legally. At least they were far from original.

I decided to five the car the most classic factory rims, Magnum 500 reproductions from Wheel Vintiques in the largest factory size 15x7 and the largest factory optional tires. Since I did not want to use bias ply tires in the size F60-15, I chose the modern equivalent, BFG Radial T/A 235/60R15.

Because I did not make good experience with the tire shops around the corner, I mount the tires on the rims the DIY way. Since I do not have a blancing machine, I use the Counteract balancing beads. The stuff comes from Canada and was purchased from a german supplier at approximately 6 Euros/$9 for a 114g bag.

This is the Magnum 500 fresh out of the box

DSC00411.JPG

I insert the chrome valve stem

DSC00487b.JPG

DSC00487.JPG

This is the reason why I do not like tire shops. These guys usually bolt the wheel to the balancing machine using a hub cone. Most of them never heard of lug-centric balancing, some others simply fear the effort to change the mounting adapter of the machine. Anyway, so many tires from my americans cars were out of balance when I got them back that I decided either to buy my own balancing machine or find a new way of balancing.

DSC00488.JPG

Rim is perfectly cleaned before the tire is set up

DSC00490.JPG

Tire is sparingly coated with lubricant. I use a fingertip of dishwashing soap. It is important not to use excess of this stuff, because when it gets into the air chamber of the tire, the balancing beads will stick to it and not do their job.

DSC00492.JPG

Tire is mounted on rim. This goes easy. Have an eye on the blue dot. This should be close to the valve. There is a counterweight molded into the tire on the opposite side to compensate the weight of the valve stem.

DSC00493.JPG

Counteract bag is opened and content is poured into the tire through the valve. Why didn't I pour the bag directly into the tire before assembly? Answer: I wanted to minimize the chance that some beads get trapped between tire and rim and cause an air leak.

DSC00494.JPG

DSC00496.JPG

Tire is filled with air to specification.

DSC00497.JPG

The repro emblem cap by Scott Drake is mounted.

DSC00498.JPG

Finished Wheel, ready to run on the road. (unfortunately with no car attached)

DSC00499.JPG

Did not try. Mach 1 did not run when I got it. Was taken apart for restoration.

Okay, here is how it works:

Physical principle behind it is the distribution of loose objects in a rotating assembly. The beads are made from glass and are perfectly round. Their surface is made from a material that charges itself electrostatically when in motion contact with rubber. The centrifugal force presses the beads to the outer rim of the rotating assembly.

And there something funny happens: the phyical attempt to equal out imbalances in the rotating assembly. The beads move always to the point opposite the imbalance in the exact needed amount. The system comes to balance. Maybe you have witnessed this effect in your washing machine. When it starts to spin-dry the clothes, it usually has an imbalance because all shirts and socks lay on the ground of the drum. As the rpm goes up, the wet clothes distribute themselves in the drum in their attempt to balance it out. When it stops, the clothes are all equally allocated around the drum wall. Same principle is used here

Due to the electrostatic charge, most of the beads stay there, some fall down when the motion stops. When it starts again, they move back where they are needed.

What are the advantages?

1. No need for external balance weights which scratch the chrome and make the rims more difficult to clean.

2. Tire is always perfectly balanced. Also when the blance points have changed due to wear. The beads move where they are needed.

3. Do-it-yourself factor.

4. The beads are more environmentally friendly than lead weights.

5. Eliminate the "idiot-at-shop-factor"

I use the same stuff on my Lincoln with no problems. The beads have been in use for many years for heavy trucks in North America and in Europe. If someboy is interested:

The North American manufacturer is here

The German supplier is here

Last edited by a moderator:
You live & you learn ! Wish you posted this a week ago..Before i ordered my rims & tires which will be here Monday (if fedex dosn't jerk me) already mounted & balanced..Although I think I'm gonna try them since I have to send them out to have the centers powder coated...The color I wanted was discountuined so 2 of the rims are black instead of titanium..What are you using for a dismount of your tires from the wheel ?

Latest posts

Back