MSD ignition needs to be remounted on 71 Q code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milalynne

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Yellow gold
On my 71 Mach 1 Q code. When I bought the MSD ignition is mounted on the cross brace. I would like to relocate it to its original spot and if that’s not possible to mount it somewhere else. Does anyone know where it should be mounted originally or if it doesn’t fit there then we’re would you mount it if was you. Thank you in advanced - Mila

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    2.3 MB
  • IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    2.1 MB
Since the MSD is an aftermarket part and not supplied by Ford, there is no "original" location.
Well it still had to have a location for its ignition as well I mean like the other Mustang I had had the Ford just the stock one. Give me some of that knowledge on yours on that were they able with not having an ignition? If that’s the case what did they do without ignition and you know a coil like I have the aftermarket blaster MSD coil. Thank you for responding and I hope I can get some more knowledge from you off this I can understand it and then and then I’ll know what to do

The 71 had points, so it was all contained inside the distributor. The coil was mounted to the intake on the front passenger side.

The MSD on my old '71 was mounted it under the washer fluid tank. If you have enough wire length to move it there, it's a good spot and out of the way.

The 71 had points, so it was all contained inside the distributor. The coil was mounted to the intake on the front passenger side.

The MSD on my old '71 was mounted it under the washer fluid tank. If you have enough wire length to move it there, it's a good spot and out of the way.
Perfect thank you just the info I needed. Than nk you for helping me and others on here I know that it takes up your time and it’s so much appreciate - Mila

Back