Muffler suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the x-pipe does mellow and quiet the exhaust down. This is my 73 F350 with a 4v 390 towing with headers and true 2.5" duals, then on the dyno with an x-pipe installed, everything else the same. The x-pipe made a massive difference driving it around in the sound level.

[video=youtube]

My 5.0 powered 73 Vert has a drone , with both Flow 40's(too harsh fer me) and with Dynomax'es, though the Dynom's are a smaller RPM range. Don65Stang is completely correct about the harmonics causing "drone".

Look up Quarter Wave Attenuators, apparrently bout the only way to completely stop "drone"

I'm working on a set now.

I've got the 40's on mine and they sound fantastic. It used to have the stock set up and reminded me of a "put put" car before. Sounds tight 'n right now. No complaints at all. Its got that nice deep rumble without being obnoxious.

I've run Flowmasters, generic Turbo style and now an OE replacement for our cars. The Flowmasters were on a whopping 30 minutes before deciding no thank you. The Turbos were much better but still too much for a convertible. The OE mufflers are mellow and quiet driving around town and on the highway but still sound good when on the throttle.

In a convertible you hear way more noise, both from external and internal sources.

Back