My Transmission scared me this weekend

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 351c 2V
My Niece got married this weekend, and the bridesmaid dresses were the same color blue as my '73 Vert, so they wanted to use it as a prop for some pics (I haven't seen them yet).

Anyway, on may way to my sister's house, I was getting a little rambunctious, and stomped on it on the freeway. Got it up to about 95, then backed off.

When I got off the exit, and pulled away from the first light, the transmission didn't want to shift out of first... It finally did shift, at just shy of 4,000 RPMs.... Then it wouldn't shift into 3rd (until just shy of 4,000 RPMs).

My heart sank. I am planning to put in an AOD tranny, but it is a few weeks out yet, and I don't want to have to tow it there (about an hour away).

So, I thought maybe the fluid level had gotten too low for the valve body to work correctly... but the dip stick looked OK.

So I limped home on the back roads until it occured to me that the tranny was acting as if it thought I was at wide open throttle (keeping it forced into a low gear).

I puled over, opened the hood, tugged slightly on the kick-down cable... and it came forward about a half inch.

Got back in, and THANK GOD, that is all it was... a stuck kick-down cable.

I lost 2 night's sleep over a stuck kick-down cable... rofl

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - there are very few things that compare to squirting some extra fuel for that instant rush our cars can provide. But when we do that and then learn we have possibly damged our prized possession ---- well, it sucks.

Glad you quickly located the kick-down problem and fixed it. Is there an adjustment that might correct and make it not happen again?

Ray

At least it was an easy fix
And I figured it out before I emptied my CZ-75 into it.:cool:

Yes - there are very few things that compare to squirting some extra fuel for that instant rush our cars can provide. But when we do that and then learn we have possibly damged our prized possession ---- well, it sucks.

Glad you quickly located the kick-down problem and fixed it. Is there an adjustment that might correct and make it not happen again?

Ray
The existing kick-down cable goes down right at the intersection of the throttle cable bracket, which is an Edelbrock adapter to line everything up with the larger carb. It got kind of wedged into that little groove between the bracket and the intake.

When I replace he FMX with an AOD in a few weeks, the kick-down cable will be replaced with a new Lokar cable... so I'm not too worried about it.

Whew! Good thinking on the kick-down cable, and glad you got it fixed.
+1 I know a transmission shop that would have had to rebuild your transmission to fix the problem.
Sounds like a shop to avoid ;)

You guys have no idea how relieved I was!!!! :D

And Dan from Silverfox emailed me today. My wide ratio AOD will be shipped as early as Wednesday. With any luck, the transmission will be swapped next week!!!!:cool:

:banana:

When I got off the exit, and pulled away from the first light, the transmission didn't want to shift out of first... It finally did shift, at just shy of 4,000 RPMs.... Then it wouldn't shift into 3rd (until just shy of 4,000 RPMs).
I have that happen too! I push down the pedal on the left and pull the lever in the middle and it happens all over again! :D Sometimes it doesn't shift until 5500 rpm!

I'll have to see if my sister has any... they used the car for pics after we left and started to pre-game for the reception. Took a cab home that night, then went back to get the mustang the next morning, and it was neatly tucked into my sister's garage :)

Back