Need a 5 speed please!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no shifting issues with my TKO 600.
Can you rev your engine to 5500 rpm or more and leave your gas pedal on the floor and shift it with no problem?

no shifting issues with my TKO 600. Agree, if you are planning on spirited driving saving and doing it right is the best way, and is exactly what i did.
Did you go hydraulic, cable or keep the zbar?

Can you rev your engine to 5500 rpm or more and leave your gas pedal on the floor and shift it with no problem?
If that is the issue at hand with those transmissions than I myself am not worried. I have zero intention on driving like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
no shifting issues with my TKO 600. Agree, if you are planning on spirited driving saving and doing it right is the best way, and is exactly what i did.
Did you go hydraulic, cable or keep the zbar?

If that is the issue at hand with those transmissions than I myself am not worried. I have zero intention on driving like that.
I agree Chris, maybe some TKO's would have a shifting issue shifting at WOT with a bump of the clutch but I'll never know...

Not everyone lives their life 1/4 mile at a time.

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in with little bit of personal experience. I installed a TKO 600 and my dada golden glow 72 Mach 1 a couple years ago after installing it I realized had to go with a different clutch so I went with the Center force dual friction set up it was pretty much a direct bolt in I just had to turn the crossmember 180 degrees and the factory drive shaft was a perfect fit it came with all the parts needed for installation like the clutch cable and pigtail plugins for the reverse lights I paid $3,000 give or take for the transmission and a few hundred more for the clutch but it's been well worth it the TKO 600 has a better overdrive then the 500 which is mainly for road racing I didn't have to cut anything I just had to fabricate a Z bracket for the shifter to bring the handle back into factory location the Mach 1 dyno came in at 538 rwhp and after 2 years it's never missed a beat.

have the shift rod mod done and install the carbon fiber blocker rings in 2, 3. and 4, on the 600 and it will shift quick, otherwise it more than likely will not speed shift.
Do these mods you describe allow for better shifting at high rpm compared to original? Can you buy moded already or you have to do it yourself? How much of a budget for these mods?

1971 M-code Mach 1

Not everyone wants to have to shift their car like Grandma either.

I post the info so the op can make his own informed decision which some people appreciate.

Do these mods you describe allow for better shifting at high rpm compared to original?
Yes, by a significant margin.

Can you buy moded already or you have to do it yourself? How much of a budget for these mods?
Yes, there are a few places that will do that . One is Libertys Gears and another is Astro trans.

http://www.libertysgears.com/

https://www.astroperformance.com/

Not everyone wants to have to shift their car like Grandma either.

I post the info so the op can make his own informed decision which some people appreciate.

Do these mods you describe allow for better shifting at high rpm compared to original?
Yes, by a significant margin.

Can you buy moded already or you have to do it yourself? How much of a budget for these mods?
Yes, there are a few places that will do that . One is Libertys Gears and another is Astro trans.

http://www.libertysgears.com/

https://www.astroperformance.com/
Barnett468, to be clear, speaking for myself, I do appreciate your comments, I just don't shift that way and also want to express to the threads author, the mods you speak of aren't necessary, unless you intend to. The TKO 600 is a great trans, even if you don't "race" it. Your opinion is insightful and important in helping to make these decisions.

Eric

TKO 600, north of 500 hp and tq 508 windsor, et street drag radials, pinned in first to second, and second in third no missed shifts. Just over 5700 rmps. I did not build it to rev, built it for grunt (185 heads, annular DP, etc) but it does get there in a hurry and shifts as it should

TKO 600, north of 500 hp and tq 508 windsor, et street drag radials, pinned in first to second, and second in third no missed shifts. Just over 5700 rmps. I did not build it to rev, built it for grunt (185 heads, annular DP, etc) but it does get there in a hurry and shifts as it should
xlnt thanks for the info . you have one of the better ones . some have trouble shifting quickly from second to third at and above that rpm so there seems to be some inconsistency in their quality . they are quite strong but they were not designed to be shifted quickly because they were not designed as a racing trans but if someone doesn't ever try to speed shift one the mods are definitely not necessary but if they do plan to speed shift the mods are insurance that it will speed shift fine, especially at, and above those rpms.

The Tremec TKO transmissions are considered heavy duty transmissions by todays standards and not considered a racing transmission. They have the same exact synchronizer blocker rings as a toploader 4-speed so you can expect similar shifting performance in it's stock configuration. If you try and push the shifting perimeters beyond its intended design, then you will likely experience poor performance.

They do sell different versions of the TKO 500/600 that have different gear ratios. The 500's have a .68 overdrive which is the same as a V-8 world class T5. The TKO 600's cam come with either a .82 or a .64 overdrive.

Are those RWHP numbers? Or are you running any nitrous?

Hooker 6901. They cleared the wide FMX, and clear the TKO quite well. Drivers side was kissing the lock ring on the steering box, but some massaging and that is gone now.

It had 6913 when i bought the car bolted to the cleveland, they cleared everything as well

I definitely intend to do the TKO 500 install along with a hydraulic clutch. When I get into it I'll be sure to document as best I can and take a lot of pics. I'll also be doing a carb and intake swap. I hope to have this project going just before summer. Thanks to all who responded and I'm sure I'll have some more questions.

I definitely intend to do the TKO 500 install along with a hydraulic clutch. When I get into it I'll be sure to document as best I can and take a lot of pics. I'll also be doing a carb and intake swap. I hope to have this project going just before summer. Thanks to all who responded and I'm sure I'll have some more questions.
I would not use a 500.

I would not use a 500.
ditto...

Back