Need a 5 speed please!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mine is not a recommendation as much as a personal preference . I do not like the gear spacing of the 500 trans nor does anyone I know, plus, I prefer to use parts that are a little stronger than may be necessary if it's economically feasible if one part might be near the limit of the abuse it can take.

Mine is not a recommendation as much as a personal preference . I do not like the gear spacing of the 500 trans nor does anyone I know, plus, I prefer to use parts that are a little stronger than may be necessary if it's economically feasible if one part might be near the limit of the abuse it can take.
Ditto, again.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I just checked pricing on Summit website and The TKO 500 & 600 are both $2,450. Tell me (anybody) a good reason you'd buy a TKO 500 over the 600, cause I can't think of one. Real installed pricing comparison is still negligible (I believe) between the two, so wouldn't you chose the stronger? That's why there's a TKO 600 in mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ditto, again.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I just checked pricing on Summit website and The TKO 500 & 600 are both $2,450. Tell me (anybody) a good reason you'd buy a TKO 500 over the 600, cause I can't think of one. Real installed pricing comparison is still negligible (I believe) between the two, so wouldn't you chose the stronger? That's why there's a TKO 600 in mine.
I can see the argument for the 600 based on price. With regards to actual install price....well...that's something I don't want to think about.

From my research you want the 600 over the 500. First, because of the extra torque it can handle. Second, because the gear ratios are more suitable for our cars. 1st gear in the 500 is 3.27 vs 2.87 in the 600.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/tremec_tko.htm

In comparison the top loader had 2.32 or 2.78.

The 500s 1st gear ends up being too short. Good for a 4x4 but not the best for a Mustang. Still it will work though.

Disclaimer: my comments are based on research not practice.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
yup on price and increased pwer handling ability and the gear ratio explanation . we are trying to put a square peg in a round hole with some of these trannys and in some cases the trans tunnel has to be modified and the engine lowered to get the correct driveshaft angle to prevent vibration . i have never put one of these in a 71 thru 73 so i cant say what mods need to be done but chack the driveshaft angle for sure

Back