• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Need a C6 Tail shaft housing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robnbama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Mach one
Hey guys, I am looking for a tailshaft housing for my Ford C6 transmission. These are some pictures of the old one that came off of the transmission. Is doesn't have any studs or holes for the rear transmission crossmember. I'm looking for a tailshaft housing just like this but with the crossmember studs or holes. It's right at 17 inches long. I'm pretty sure this is a mid 70's transmission and it's going in my 1973 mustang with a 460 and the C6 transmission. It is right at 17 inches long. Please let me know if you can help me with this. Thanks.

View attachment 21028

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Hey guys, I am looking for a tailshaft housing for my Ford C6 transmission. These are some pictures of the old one that came off of the transmission. Is doesn't have any studs or holes for the rear transmission crossmember. I'm looking for a tailshaft housing just like this but with the crossmember studs or holes. It's right at 17 inches long. I'm pretty sure this is a mid 70's transmission and it's going in my 1973 mustang with a 460 and the C6 transmission. It is right at 17 inches long. Please let me know if you can help me with this. Thanks.

This tranny came out of a seventies lincoln or t bird . The length is differant than the c-6 that came in mustangs or trucks and other fords. you would be better off to find another tranny. If you cant find one email me ,I have one Thanks Whisnane

I have a tail shaft housing, I just took my car apart a couple months ago, and the trans is just collecting dust. My car is a '72 with a 351c, not sure if that makes a difference.

If you are sure that tail shaft housing is what you need, I'll take it off the tranny and send it to you.

PM me if you need it.

I am swapping in a gear vendors so I have a stock tail housing as well. It's a c6 small block. I think it is 14" long. If windowmaker00 doesn't work out let me know and I can help you out. PM me. I won't be checking this thread again (most likely). Mine is out of the car so I can take some pics and measurements. I have NO idea if the small block/big block are the same. I would think they are.

I will post this again. The LENGTH is different on Robnbama tranny than the small block or big block trannys than came in mustangs
I missed your original reply.

If he plans on doing a rebuild can he swap out the shaft?

I am not sure what car my C6 came out of. One thing he will want to check is the linkage. It is probably different as well. I adapted mine to work.

I will post this again. The LENGTH is different on Robnbama tranny than the small block or big block trannys than came in mustangs
I missed your original reply.

If he plans on doing a rebuild can he swap out the shaft?

I am not sure what car my C6 came out of. One thing he will want to check is the linkage. It is probably different as well. I adapted mine to work.
yes, the shafts can be swapped out during a rebuild

Thanks for the advice everybody. The tailshaft housing is 17 inches long. I was hoping to stick with this transmission if possible because it's a known good transmission and I honestly dread taking the headers back off. Here is another picture.

image.jpg

Robnbama, how did you end up resolving your issue? Did you swap out the long tailshaft for a short one, or ended up using the long one?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back