Need advice on color change

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
spring green.jpg[attachment=43552][attachment=43552]I just bought this fairly rare 1971 M code Convertible in Grabber Green Metallic.

My wife has wanted me to build her a black/white/white car with identical options (a/c, pw, auto, white int, white top, NASA hood) except for the grabber green color.

I just can't get crazy about the grabber green metallic (love grabber lime though). I've thought about restoring this car for myself and trying to tweak the factory color (I like 1969 Mopar Spring Green a little better), but, in the end, I think this car would be a good candidate to paint black with the argent hood patch and white top/interior for my wife.

Here's my question: Please give me feedback on the decision to paint the car black, and tell me if you would buy the car for the same, less, or more money if the car were to come up for sale (assuming the car was restored to very high standards). I would not strip all the paint off the car. I would still leave a few areas not immediately visible the original color.

Keep in mind the white top and interior. I think if it were black/black, the decision would be easier (keep it grabber green metallic or go grabber lime)

Thanks!

Kevin.

Here is the link to the ebay add:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Mustang-CONVERTIBLE-/222367065824?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Zre7LdW9usBWQ6VbhbOeVDHAUI0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

If you are talking about buying that exact car you might want to look at this tread first:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-71-vert-m-code-ebay

But to answer your question I definitely would not pay the same amount for a color change especially on a car that is as rare as that one.

If you are talking about buying that exact car you might want to look at this tread first:

But to answer your question I definitely would not pay the same amount for a color change especially on a car that is as rare as that one.

Thanks! I wish I had seen that post before I bought the car. I called the seller last night and started to confront him with the info, and he had a total come apart. Now he has my money and the car and I will probably have to sue to get my money back. He said he is going to sell the car on Hemmings and refuses to send me the car! I have contacted Travis for more info. What a mess! If only I had seen Travis' post before I paid for the car! Of course, the seller tells a different story about his meeting with Travis, but I'm inclined to believe that I just got royally screwed on this deal!!::mad::huh:

Hey Kevin,

Don't be too hard on yourself.

I am trying to buy another classic car for myself from America at the moment, and all i have run into are sellers offering so called great cars that don't live up when put under the microscope. It really is a jungle out there with the market littered with fakes, phonies, scammers, frauds, and plain liars, itching to relieve you of your monies.

Hope you sort it out to your advantage.

Greg.:-/

Thanks so much Austin. I went to bed last night tossing and turning and telling myself I have had it, and I'm not going to trust anyone ever again, and stop buying cars, and let go of this addiction I have to these cars. Hopefully I'll feel better and see things differently soon. Kevin.

Kevin,

I would actually take a quick look at the law as I believe he has committed mail fraud which is a federal crime and is pretty easy to prosecute. Take a quick look at the law and then send him a nice note advising him that you will proceed with the process to have charges brought against him.

It will all work out in the end and yes, it does suck but tomorrow's another day and I think your better off to know now vs. when the car shows up and it's completely different than what he describes.

As Mark indicated I would do some homework on the laws regarding his representation of the car. It may be worthwhile to seek a local attorney to review these issues and write a letter to the seller on your behalf. Often times when the seller receives notice on law office letterhead it gets their attention quickly. Good Luck!

Thanks! I wish I had seen that post before I bought the car. I called the seller last night and started to confront him with the info, and he had a total come apart. Now he has my money and the car and I will probably have to sue to get my money back. He said he is going to sell the car on Hemmings and refuses to send me the car! I have contacted Travis for more info. What a mess! If only I had seen Travis' post before I paid for the car! Of course, the seller tells a different story about his meeting with Travis, but I'm inclined to believe that I just got royally screwed on this deal!!::mad::huh:
Kevin. I haven't read eBays buyer protection policy in a while but from what I recall while it didn't necessarily guarantee the condition of the car it might have provided coverage for outright fraud and I am almost certain it provided coverage for a seller not delivering the product. So in this case you might be better off if he keeps the car and you file a claim through eBay to get your money back. This is provided of course there is coverage and you did not complete the purchase outside of eBay. Take a look and good luck.

I am not clear why when you asked him questions he just said he would no longer send the car and he was keeping your money. I would of thought he would tell you tough luck and at least send the misrepresented car. Other than of course he's a complete di#ck and an outright thief.

Also, contact Hemming and let them know that you have paid for and are the owner of this car (give them the vin and any paperwork you have) and let them know that they will be advertising a car that will be involved in a legal battle. I wonder if that will close that avenue to him. Same for ebay. In the end if you wind up with a car that is OK but you overpaid you won't be the first one of us to do so!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As Mark indicated I would do some homework on the laws regarding his representation of the car. It may be worthwhile to seek a local attorney to review these issues and write a letter to the seller on your behalf. Often times when the seller receives notice on law office letterhead it gets their attention quickly. Good Luck!

Thank you all so much. You guys won't believe what the seller is putting me through. Before I bid on the car, I spoke to him on the phone. The guy seemed so nice. He told me he had hoards of parts he would sell me and we agreed on a total price of $16,250 for everything including the car. I wired him the full amount the next day. He assured me that he would load as many parts into the car as he could fit and mail me the rest at his cost. He told me the same story about how some of the parts were at his house in New York, but I had no reason to doubt he would send them. We're talking Boss 351 intake, NOS chrome tips (3 sets), you name it. I paid a deposit to a shipper for $175 and the car was scheduled for pick up today. Last night, I called him and started to express my concerns after reading Travis' post about the car and the guy LOST IT. He said he was going to sell the car and parts on Hemmings. So he has my money, the car, the parts, and plans to keep them all. I filed a claim with Ebay, but it is useless. He says he is making the car available for pick up but he didn't respond when the shipper called today. There are many more details, but no time to post now. This guy is not like anyone I have ever dealt with before. He is claiming that I was backing out of the deal when I called him, but I was only trying to get his side of the story. He hung up the phone on me and refused to communicate. He told me to go ahead and file a claim on Ebay, which I did, but you would not believe how hard it is to recover anything once the seller has your money. Here's the kicker: Look at his message to me through the Ebay system:

FROM THE SELLER (keep in mind that I have already paid this Guy $16,250 and I'll probably never get the car or the parts):

I did NOT inform you that I did not want to go through with the sale. In fact you called me Friday about the pick up by the trucking company and we agreed that the pick would be tomorrow, I have proof of this call as well as texts and emails from the trucking company so that lie won't fly.

You in fact called me two days ago and told me that your wife had breast cancer hinting that you could not go through with the sale. Then today you call me and tell me that you were on a forum telling people that you bought the Mustang and that another person on the forum told you that he had looked at the car and it was NOT a matching numbers car which is a blatant lie, the car is matching numbers and there are no problems with the car. Then you told me that you wanted to back out of the deal without even seeing the car or asking me to confirm or explain what you heard from some third party that doesn't know anything about my car.

Now you write a letter through eBay saying that I backed out on the sale to try to get eBay to cover any potential claim. Unfortunately for you i have documentation of all of the calls and your lies.

I have lost other buyers due to your nonsense. You wanted out of the deal and now you blame me.

I am stunned by your ability to blatantly lie about the facts of the case.

I'll turn this over to my attorney and he will prepare a bill of particulars for the damages that i am incurring as a result of your nonsense.

You will need to pay him for his fees and pay for the associated damages that I am now suffering including storage and maintenance of the car.

The cost to store the car is $250 per day. A maintenance charge of $500.00 per month will also be included.

My counsel bills out at $850.00 per hour, he is located in New York.

We can go to court on this but that will take months if not years.

Ebay is a contract to buy the car if you are the high bidder it is not a contract to consider the car and then change your mind.

Oh, and the part about my wife just being diagnosed with breast cancer, yes, I told him that, not because I wanted out of the deal, but because I was sad and strangely felt like I was becoming friends with this guy! I am so stupid!

Kevin,

I would actually take a quick look at the law as I believe he has committed mail fraud which is a federal crime and is pretty easy to prosecute. Take a quick look at the law and then send him a nice note advising him that you will proceed with the process to have charges brought against him.

It will all work out in the end and yes, it does suck but tomorrow's another day and I think your better off to know now vs. when the car shows up and it's completely different than what he describes.

Thanks for the reply Mark. Please see my reply to the next post.

Jesus what a mess. Incidentally for what it is worth his lawyer would have to prepare a summons and complaint and file it before getting to a Bill of Particulars later. And since he has your money there is no evidence you are backing out of anything. He's been paid. This may come to you flying out there and arranging to remove the car from his premises in person if he will even allow that. I didn't like this ad when I saw it as the car was supposedly in CA from what I recall but the guy had a 914 (ny) area code.

Jesus what a mess. Incidentally for what it is worth his lawyer would have to prepare a summons and complaint and file it before getting to a Bill of Particulars later. And since he has your money there is no evidence you are backing out of anything. He's been paid. This may come to you flying out there and arranging to remove the car from his premises in person if he will even allow that. I didn't like this ad when I saw it as the car was supposedly in CA from what I recall but the guy had a 914 (ny) area code.

Thanks. All great info. Please keep it coming. I'm learning!

Do you have anything on writing about the additional parts etc.? Also you should document in writing your efforts to pick up the car.

Very long story here. I have tons of texts documenting all the parts and can create a good story line, but I am at a loss for how to forward the messages to email. For some reason, I think he sent the info in a form I could not forward. I would appreciate some one on one help with this if someone could leave me their #. Thanks!

Too late. Gotta go to bed, but please keep the info coming!!

If an attempt to pick up the car was made make sure we have a written statement from the trucking company stating dates, times, calls, etc. The more info the better!

Is the car in NY or CA? When I saw the Craiglist add I thought it was in CA.

A painful lesson indeed. Sorry to hear about your wife too.

If this is just a misunderstanding now about picking up the car (forgetting about the possible misrepresentation) maybe this can be resolved to some extent. Since you cant have a car carrier standing by at this person's whims find a fairly local guy with a flatbed and a lot. In writing arrange a pick up with the seller using the local truck and prearrange a reasonable storage fee for the car at that place's lot. Then you can breathe for a day or two until you can get a transporter plus the car will now be away from the seller so at least you have the property.

Don't forget to get a title or whatever you need to register the car in your state. If you don't have anything in writing about the other parts I'm not sure you can compel the guy to send them at this point. If the above doesn't work and the guys whole goal here was to simply steal your money you will have to pursue legal options to try and recover it. Let us know how it goes

Back