Need advice on replacement rear curtain

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351, FMX, A/C (well, parts of it anyways!)
1971 Mach 1, 351, FMX
1965 Convertible, 289, 4-speed
Okay, so I've decided that I'm going to replace my rear curtain on my 73 since the glass window literally fell out when I was washing the car.

I'm going to attempt to replace the curtain myself since it doesn't look too terribly bad to do. If I get lost I can always take it to the local shop who quoted me 4 hours at $85 per hour.

I have a couple of questions. When looking for a replacement rear curtain how do I know which one to buy?

CJ's shows two:

1. Mustang KEE Auto Top Convertible Top Glass Window Cloth Black 1971-1973

Part Number: CTG4C

KEE Auto Top Part Number: HG0225TN14SF

KEE Auto Top Black Cloth Convertible Top Glass Window for 1971-1973 Convertible Mustangs with a Black Cloth KEE Auto Top.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/kee-auto-top-convertible-top-glass-window-cloth-black-1971-1973/p/CTG4C/

2. Mustang KEE Auto Top Convertible Top Glass Window 1971-1973

Part Number: CTG4B

KEE Auto Top Part Number: HG0225TN33

Kee Auto Top Convertible Top Glass Window for 1971-1973 Mustang Convertibles.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/kee-convertible-top-glass-window-1971-1973/p/CTG4B/

This is going to sound silly but how do I know if this Kee rear curtain will work with my top? I don't think it's the original top on the car now. Is there some magical way I can tell the manufacture of my top? Can't they just all be universal like a headlight bulb? ::huh:::

Also they come in various colors. I believe my curtain is all black but it's a white top. Does this make sense?

CJ's has the curtains on sale (20% off) through tomorrow so I'd like to make a decision soon to save some money that can go for other Mustang parts!

Thanks for any and all advice!

Scott

Okay, so I've decided that I'm going to replace my rear curtain on my 73 since the glass window literally fell out when I was washing the car.

I'm going to attempt to replace the curtain myself since it doesn't look too terribly bad to do. If I get lost I can always take it to the local shop who quoted me 4 hours at $85 per hour.

I have a couple of questions. When looking for a replacement rear curtain how do I know which one to buy?

CJ's shows two:

1. Mustang KEE Auto Top Convertible Top Glass Window Cloth Black 1971-1973

Part Number: CTG4C

KEE Auto Top Part Number: HG0225TN14SF

KEE Auto Top Black Cloth Convertible Top Glass Window for 1971-1973 Convertible Mustangs with a Black Cloth KEE Auto Top.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/kee-auto-top-convertible-top-glass-window-cloth-black-1971-1973/p/CTG4C/

2. Mustang KEE Auto Top Convertible Top Glass Window 1971-1973

Part Number: CTG4B

KEE Auto Top Part Number: HG0225TN33

Kee Auto Top Convertible Top Glass Window for 1971-1973 Mustang Convertibles.

This is going to sound silly but how do I know if this Kee rear curtain will work with my top? I don't think it's the original top on the car now. Is there some magical way I can tell the manufacture of my top? Can't they just all be universal like a headlight bulb? ::huh:::

Also they come in various colors. I believe my curtain is all black but it's a white top. Does this make sense?

CJ's has the curtains on sale (20% off) through tomorrow so I'd like to make a decision soon to save some money that can go for other Mustang parts!

Thanks for any and all advice!

Scott
I went online and chatted with CJ's support regarding these two tops. Here's the conversation:

Scott:

Hello, the KEE covertible top glass window curtains that you list, will those work with any convertible top or just KEE brand? I don't know who manufactured my top.

Also, what's the difference between these two products?

Welcome Scott! Your request has been directed to our support team. Please wait for an operator to answer your call.

Thank you for contacting CJ Pony Parts! My name is Josh and I will be helping you today.

Josh: I'm working on this for you. I will be back with you in just a moment.

Scott: okay, thanks Josh

Josh: kee glass will work with most manufactures tops. as for the difference in the parts one is a vinyl top the other is a cloth material

Scott: ah, for the rear curtain, either vinyl or cloth material. Not really the top but the rear curtain correct? So if I'm not sure of the manufacturer of my top the KEE one should work right? It has a zipper along the top.

Josh: Kee states that their glass works with "most" manufactures. so unless you know who made yours and could verify with kee. It should work

Scott: I really appreciate that info. Any recommendation on cloth or vinyl?

Josh: Personally i like how cloth looks and feels. with that in mind, i do know that it is more maintenance to a cloth top.

Scott: The rear curtain is hidden by the top right? So any differences if you can't really see it, except from inside?

Josh: i believe some small portions of the curtain do show. not 100% sure though

Scott: Okay, thanks again Josh. Don't those windows get broken during shipment now and then?

Josh: i sure hope not@

Last edited by a moderator:
The original tops were vinyl which is what I went with on my 73. Mine came from CJ's and is the Kee brand. The part under the glass is part of the replacement curtain and does show and you probably want it to match the top on the car.

My Kee top and window curtain has been on the car for two years now and no complaints from me.

This thread shows the top on my car if you want to take a look:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-pictures-of-my-73-mustang-convertible-with-the-top-up?highlight=top

The original tops were vinyl which is what I went with on my 73. Mine came from CJ's and is the Kee brand. The part under the glass is part of the replacement curtain and does show and you probably want it to match the top on the car.

My Kee top and window curtain has been on the car for two years now and no complaints from me.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-pictures-of-my-73-mustang-convertible-with-the-top-up?highlight=top
Mike, that really is a beautiful car! When you said "The part under the glass is part of the replacement curtain and does show and you probably want it to match the top on the car. " I assume your talking about the lower portion of the curtain, which in your case is black and is the same material as the top. It's a band running across horizontally and is about 10" or so tall. In my case, my top is white so I'd order a white curtain. All backing material would be black, correct? That's how it is on my top.

Scott

Mike, that really is a beautiful car! When you said "The part under the glass is part of the replacement curtain and does show and you probably want it to match the top on the car. " I assume your talking about the lower portion of the curtain, which in your case is black and is the same material as the top. It's a band running across horizontally and is about 10" or so tall. In my case, my top is white so I'd order a white curtain. All backing material would be black, correct? That's how it is on my top.

Scott
Here's a pic of the rear of my car.

1zcjrm.jpg

Yes, you would want to order the window with the white curtain. I would guess the backing material would be black for the white tops and curtain too. Mine is black.

My brother had a 73 convertible the same color as yours, but he sold it back in the early 80's. Nice looking vert.

Yes, you would want to order the window with the white curtain. I would guess the backing material would be black for the white tops and curtain too. Mine is black.

My brother had a 73 convertible the same color as yours, but he sold it back in the early 80's. Nice looking vert.
Mike, thanks a million for your advice and knowledge. This guy out here on the west coast really appreciates your help on this. I placed my order and it should be here in a couple of weeks. The local upholstery shop is going to charge me $150-$200 to install it and I'll be back in business again!

::goodjob::::goodjob::::goodjob::

Thanks!

Scott

You might concider replacing the entire top for a black top instead. I noticed on the other thread you're having trouble keeping the white top clean. A black top is WAY WAY WAY easier to keep clean. You'll think you went to heaven! I have had both and would never concider a white top again. IMHO your car has one of those colors that looks great with either white or black top. (nice pict of Lake Tahoe too).

Another case for replacing the whole top: if the window has deteriorated, the rest of the top maybe almost ready to go also. It usually starts splitting at the seam edges where it folds.

You might concider replacing the entire top for a black top instead. I noticed on the other thread you're having trouble keeping the white top clean. A black top is WAY WAY WAY easier to keep clean. You'll think you went to heaven! I have had both and would never concider a white top again. IMHO your car has one of those colors that looks great with either white or black top. (nice pict of Lake Tahoe too).

Another case for replacing the whole top: if the window has deteriorated, the rest of the top maybe almost ready to go also. It usually starts splitting at the seam edges where it folds.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Right now I'm in triage mode trying to get her running and driving safely again. I'm going to have to put off the top for a while until I can get the brakes, bearings, rear end, and electrical issues sorted out. Because of that I'm just going to be able to replace the rear curtain for now.

I've got a 65 convertible too that I've had since 1980. I had a new white top put on in 81 and it's holding up very well. It's almost always spent the night in the garage and only really driven in good weather. Needs a clutch right now and that's going to have to wait a bit until I get the 73 sorted out.

The picture is actually just south of Carmel on the Big Sur coastline. I had to drive the Mrs. down there the day after I got it running to show that it would actually drive!

Scott

I have a white top currently which needs replacing and I have bought a top from laurel mountain mustang in black which doesn't come with a curtain.

They have assured me that my current curtain which is white will match what they have sent me which is black, is this information correct. I'm not with the car currently its being worked on, and the top has been removed completely I cant even make out which part is the curtain.

Can someone clarify.

Regards

Tony

Different manufactureres make their curtains diferently. Last time I replaced my top the new top came with a zipper that was plastic while the old one was metal adn they were different pitches so they did not match up. I got a window with my top but kept the old window and curtain in case the glass broke, although it is currently non compatable.

Back