Need C6 Transmission height (bellhousing)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I would like to have an idea of how high is the C6, from bottom of oil pan to top of bellhousing. I am trying to figure out how high do I need to lift the car so I can remove it from underneath. The height of the bellhousing should get me close if you have it or can measure.

Thank you.

If you scroll down on this page about 1/2 way there is a pic of what I did. There was plenty of room to get trans out. I did it without a trans jack as well, just muscled it out by hand. I can measure the bellhousing on my FMX at lunch today.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-t-5-conversion-complete?page=3
Thank you, that's a great lift!

I have seen that thread before, but it was great to read again. Since the site was redone I have had no luck with the "search" feature.

In my case, once the C6 is out, a TKO600 is coming in. Your setup is giving me an idea. I think your 8 2x12 should be about 12" of lift at the tires. I have a ramp that is about 6.5" high so I just have to build 6 more inches over it.

Measured with the pan on and at the front of the bell housing, it is 16.75" tall. Chuck

Measured with the pan on and at the front of the bell housing, it is 16.75" tall. Chuck
Thank you. In the front I have a clearance of about 8", so lifting the car 12" makes sense to roll the transmission forward. To the side i have exhaust pipes hanging and subframe connectors.

Thank you guys for the information. I ended up lifting the car 13". That was the sweet amount to be able to move the transmission under the front of the car.

For whoever reads this in the future. I highly suggest to take the time to adapt a large piece of wood to your jack. I attached an 8x2 to the jack which made the job very easy. Make sure the piece of wood is longer that the width of the pan to distribute the loads and not bend the pan up. You can see in the picture the approximate spot where to contact the transmission to be balanced. This allowed me to do it all by myself.

PS: the math makes sense. The clearance under my car was 8", so if I lifted it 13" that's 21" of clearance. The bellhousing is 16.75" and the transmission was supported with the jack and 8x2 about 5" from the ground. That brings the top of the transmission to 21.75" from the ground. While moving the transmission I had to tip it down about 3/4" so it cleared the engine crossmember.

For more pictures visit my build thread:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-muscletang-mod-project-thread-1971-m-mach-1?pid=306727#pid306727

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back