TKX/tremec install documentation?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantpune

Reaction score
I ordered the TKX kit from modern driveline. It comes with supposedly everything you need to, or at least most of it, to swap our cars from a C4/FMX/C6 to a TKX.

I've figured it out up to the point when you install the bellhousing and transmission itself. They just give you a baggie of bolts with no diagram of what goes where. I looked up TKX kits at other vendors, and they all seem to have similar. I called modern driveline and the guy who answered the phone couldn't answer it.

Maybe somebody here has an idea of where these guys go. The part number for this baggie is "HWkit-TKX Ford SB AL". The product listing for that item shows a similar, but different set of bolts, still with no diagram of which ones go where. https://www.moderndriveline.com/sho...nstall-hardware-kit-ford-tkx-w-sbf-alum-bell/

Does anybody have any guesses?

1693240931385.png

Based on the bolt counts, my assumption would be this is the bellhousing hardware kit.

4 bolts for trans to bell
6 bolts for bell to engine
Lockwashers for the above

Ford used different length bolts depending on the bell, maybe they're all bell to block bolts. I'd dry fit them before putting the bell on the engine and see how much thread protrudes.

2 BHCS for trans mount?

smaller bolts for the block plate to bell

self tapper? clueless...

Ok, so I got a call back from the technical guy at modern driveline. He helped me out.

Bell housing to engine block. The shorter of the 2 bolts go in the top 2 holes
Transmission to bell housing
Probably the transmission mount to the transmission
Transmission mount to crossmember
Inspection plate. Their setup doesn't actually have an inspection plate, but these go in the inspection plate holes.
Speedo cable if using a mechanical speedometer.
Some cover that goes over the shifter fork area of the bell housing. Its not used in my setup.

bolts.png

Also on the subject of documentation, the external hydraulic clutch setup. Luckily for me, after I ordered the kit, I spent the next week browsing their website and finding any instructions I could for all the parts on my invoice. The external slave kit, part number MD-910-1002, ships without outdated documentation. The paperwork it comes with assumes you have a TKO transmission. However, the instructions on the website cover the TKO and TKX. If you have the TKX, the process for mounting the bracket is different. On the TKO, its 2 bolts with lock washers. On the TKX, they tell you to countersink one of the holes, then use a different bolt with loctite instead of a lock washer.

1693260474611.png

Last edited:
I ordered the TKX kit from modern driveline. It comes with supposedly everything you need to, or at least most of it, to swap our cars from a C4/FMX/C6 to a TKX.

I've figured it out up to the point when you install the bellhousing and transmission itself. They just give you a baggie of bolts with no diagram of what goes where. I looked up TKX kits at other vendors, and they all seem to have similar. I called modern driveline and the guy who answered the phone couldn't answer it.

Maybe somebody here has an idea of where these guys go. The part number for this baggie is "HWkit-TKX Ford SB AL". The product listing for that item shows a similar, but different set of bolts, still with no diagram of which ones go where. https://www.moderndriveline.com/sho...nstall-hardware-kit-ford-tkx-w-sbf-alum-bell/

Does anybody have any guesses?

View attachment 80776
Black he bolts in second row far right are for the shifter.

Attachments

• IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 0
Black he bolts in second row far right are for the shifter.
Not these ones. They look similar, but are bigger. They attach the rubber mount to the bottom of the transmission.

Those 2 you are talking about shipped in the transmission, so there was no question about where they went.

Back