New convertible top options-

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
Father /Son resto-mod project
1 year in:
351 Cleveland- modified
Maier suspension
Tremec 5 speed

Last edited by a moderator:
I was gonna go with the cloth but after seeing a couple in person they just don't look right to me. They vinyl is also cheaper for the top and cheaper have installed.

Howdy Butch,

Cloth versus Vinyl. It comes down to a matter of personal choice as to what you like the look of. Cloth does look very classy and European, but from a practical point of view, is a bugger to keep clean and maintain, whereas vinyl looks very classy as well, but is much easier to maintain. Cheaper is a bonus as well.

I put a new Robbins roof on my '73 Vert last year, and went for vinyl. I was not disappointed at all. Looks a million dollers and is easy to maintain and look after. Robbins is a top quality brand that delivers the goods 100%. Go Robbins and you wont be disappointed at all.

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/index.php

Greg.:)

Howdy Butch,

Cloth versus Vinyl. It comes down to a matter of personal choice as to what you like the look of. Cloth does look very classy and European, but from a practical point of view, is a bugger to keep clean and maintain, whereas vinyl looks very classy as well, but is much easier to maintain. Cheaper is a bonus as well.

I put a new Robbins roof on my '73 Vert last year, and went for vinyl. I was not disappointed at all. Looks a million dollers and is easy to maintain and look after. Robbins is a top quality brand that delivers the goods 100%. Go Robbins and you wont be disappointed at all.

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/index.php

What Greg said. All my research lead to Robbins tops.

Yes my local upholstery installer swears by Robbins tops as well. They do many convertibles and will hopefully be doing mine soon.

BTW I would go with the back glass window - not plastic.

Ray

If your top is black, cloth might be the way to go. If it's white - stay with the vinyl. I've used Robbins and Kee tops with great results.

Gents-

Thanks for the feedback from all.

I just ordered the Robbins top, well liner and pads. New Coy wheels are on the way, too! I'll post pix as soon as we everything put together.

Butch65, are you installing the top yourself? Or are you having a shop do it? A new top is in my future too, but a few projects stand between now and then.

Gents-

Thanks for the feedback from all.

I just ordered the Robbins top, well liner and pads. New Coy wheels are on the way, too! I'll post pix as soon as we everything put together.
Hope it all goes well for you Butch. I don't think you'll be disappointed with Robbins at all. Are you going for vinyl? Look forward to the pics too.

Butch65, are you installing the top yourself? Or are you having a shop do it? A new top is in my future too, but a few projects stand between now and then.
Theres an install video you can buy for like forty bucks. I thought about it but decided against it. I might dome seats instead.

Theres an install video you can buy for like forty bucks. I thought about it but decided against it. I might dome seats instead.
Yeah, I ended up buying the Vid a while ago. It's pretty good and shows you how to do the whole thing step by step, but since i hadn't done a roof before and have limited trimming skills, i decided to leave this one for the pros. And it turned out to be a very wise move, that i didn't regret. Definately not a job for beginners or the DIY brigade, who havn't done one before.

Butch65 and Austin Vert, I think I will hire a pro for the top as well, but I was curious if you were tackling it. Thanks for the replies.

We'll, time flies and the top is still in the box in the garage, but the assorted other mini projects are finished! We will have a professional install the top and accoutrements in March. Between now and then, we need to peel off the old top and refinished the tops frame.

We'll, time flies and the top is still in the box in the garage, but the assorted other mini projects are finished! We will have a professional install the top and accoutrements in March. Between now and then, we need to peel off the old top and refinished the tops frame.
Sounds good Butch,

Hope it all goes well for you. BTW - your best option is to respray the frame in a 2Pak satin black for wear and durability. Let us know how you get on.

Timely info for me too. My wife's car needs a new top and I was just starting the research. I hadn't heard of Robbins before but I trust the advice on here so that's the one I'll be ordering.

Latest posts

Back