New member, new 71 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicJunkie

Reaction score
My Car
71 Ragtop
Long story short, I jokingly sent Wifey an ad on Marketplace for a 71 Mustang Convertible. "Why did you send me that? Do you want to buy it or something?"
"Yeah, sure... like that's gonna happen" was my response, more or less. That was Thursday night. Friday afternoon, we are checking it out and taking it for a drive, and later that afternoon, driving home!
"You can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it while you're here" was her thoughts...
Allegedly... former CA car (Marti says it went to GA in 71), repainted somewhere between 71 and 78, brought to IL at some point, purchased from a Toyota dealer in Chicagoland in 78, according to the title. Last owner had it garaged ever since and only added a handful of miles. It's not mint, but it appears to be mostly all original, including the top and all the glass, all the trim, wheels, etc, etc....
Needs some love-- paint is a bit rough, rear diff has a small leak, carpet is faded, dash has a crack, and I already ordered the seat bracket extender-- I am 6'5, and struggle getting in and out. And the windshield washer nozzles are completely MIA.

Attachments

• 20240609_085424.jpg
    20240609_085424.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240609_085436.jpg
    20240609_085436.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240609_085511.jpg
    20240609_085511.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240609_085520.jpg
    20240609_085520.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240609_090728.jpg
    20240609_090728.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Welcome from Iowa. Nice looking ride. Congrats on the purchase. The washer nozzles are available on Rock Auto and sometimes at local parts store.

Welcome from the southwest suburbs of Chicago! That looks like a nice vert and a great toy just in time for summer cruising! The old sending car pics to the wife has never worked for me personally, LOL, but good for you that it worked on this one, haha. There are a lot of really knowledgeable members here that really know these cars, and can answer any question you can pose. I have learned a lot from them in the last couple years since I bought my 71.

Howdy and welcome from another convertible owner! Top down weather has come and gone here; thankful for air conditioning! I'll be keeping the top up most of the time until October.

Nice convertible. I have a liking for ram air hoods on cars without stripes and hood paint. You can actually see the hood and scoops.

On your Marti, what was the build date and is the hood original or did it come with a flat one?
I ask because early 71 cars had aluminum trim at the back edge of the hood and fenders. At least on flat hood cars.

Your car sounds very familiar to my experience with the questions about history and present state of a 53 yr old car. I purchased mine in Feb and have had a blast replacing a few needed items and updating the wear components. All are very addressable with some new/used parts and help with the great guys in this forum.

Welcome to the group. I hope you'll find us a friendly bunch. My '72 Q code convertible came from Chicagoland as well. I'm the second owner and mine's pretty optioned up. Red with the black stripes, Ram Air, blacked out hood and twist locks, air and power windows, competition suspension, intermittent wipers, deluxe interior. But mine was driven in Chicago winters until I bought it in 1980. Had to replace all the sheet metal except the rocker panels and the filler between the top and deck lid! Enjoy, it's a blast to drive!

Attachments

• 20170424_162130.jpg
    20170424_162130.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170424_153315.jpg
    20170424_153315.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Nice convertible. I have a liking for ram air hoods on cars without stripes and hood paint. You can actually see the hood and scoops.

On your Marti, what was the build date and is the hood original or did it come with a flat one?
I ask because early 71 cars had aluminum trim at the back edge of the hood and fenders. At least on flat hood cars.
Build date is 5/71. Given the limited information from the previous owner, the hood was on the car when he bought it. It was repainted with the rest of the car prior to 78, but the underside was not painted, and is the correct original white, and it doesn't look like the bolts were ever touched. But did some guy in 75 decide to swap the hood? Don't know.... but I'm glad to have it on the car either way! Will look even better when it gets painted with the black accent stripes!

Latest posts

Back