7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
charlie , i don't really care about the time .

the bondo skills were alright , it would have been better if he wouldn't have tried to paint it black , thats the worst color you can pick to do that with , also 1/8" thick bondo

won't hold very long , cracks are pretty much imminent if you do a whole roof like that. It started cracking and that's how i knew the whole roof was bondo'd , that and it wasn't a straight roof it had waves in it.

yes , im pretty sure this was a vinyl top at one point or another.

the good thing is i have a classic car junkyard about 20 miles away from me , i need to go look there to see if he has a 71-73 coupe in the yard with a better roof , and ill do a roof transplant , if not i'll just have to rebuild the roof..It's still doable although it's pretty rusted out.

just too bad noone makes a roof panel for these 71-73 , it's a pretty common issue to be found with ex vinyl tops.
Hi Dude

Yeah Black is by far the worst color to paint it, and the wide and thin metal allow plenty of flexing, which is why the bondo drops out. The worst part about roofs is the thin metal is totally prone to heat distortion which will make it all kinds of wavy, you really need a full roof panel unless your skilled enough to bend one up.

I have to agree that you'd better have a real good look at the car all over before comitting to it, I see a whole lot of work there on just what you've uncovered so far, if you are really set on a resto on that particular car good on you, go for it, otherwise a replacement roller will be a far cheaper and more structually sound prospect in the future.

I guess you'll need to media blast the old shell if you want to carry on with it, its the only way to do the job properly on on a car like that. Give it a good rustproofing as you put on the new metal too, I don't suppose you can get it dipped?

Welcome from West Virginia! Good luck with the roof.

::welcome:: Pretty awesome find. All it needs now is a little patience and TLC. ;)

Wow. It has the Swiss cheese roof option! In reality though that option shows up with the vinyl top option fairly often.

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Be sure to add a pin to our member map under the Fun Stuff tab at the top of the page.

floor pans look like rust didn't creep into structure.. Gravy...roof...looks like slid on its roof down the road....seen it before...shaves down the roof sliding down on its lid...metals thin and gets hot...takes heat treatment out and rust like hell...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

hey hey! howdy from Houston. Tx hope you enjoy the crowd here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back