New project for this winter. 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...nice work! As I look through this thread I picture my newly acquired Mach 1 going through most of the same repairs, rear, trunk, LH quarter, fenders, et. It's interesting to see all the work you have done so far and the progress you have made. Question...when you say you can repair the doors how do you eliminate and stop the rust that could be inside of the door. It seems like it would be a similar dilemma to the Mach 1 hoods. Mine has rust inside the ram air cowl portion of the hood between the separate pieces of sheet metal. The suggestions I received were to either acid dip (which not many agree with due to issues) or just get a repro hood. Seems like it would just be easier to get new doors but if you are skilled as you obviously are and can get rid of the rust then it's best to stay original I suppose.

I will definitely keep following your build. Thanks for sharing!

Wow...nice work! As I look through this thread I picture my newly acquired Mach 1 going through most of the same repairs, rear, trunk, LH quarter, fenders, et. It's interesting to see all the work you have done so far and the progress you have made. Question...when you say you can repair the doors how do you eliminate and stop the rust that could be inside of the door. It seems like it would be a similar dilemma to the Mach 1 hoods. Mine has rust inside the ram air cowl portion of the hood between the separate pieces of sheet metal. The suggestions I received were to either acid dip (which not many agree with due to issues) or just get a repro hood. Seems like it would just be easier to get new doors but if you are skilled as you obviously are and can get rid of the rust then it's best to stay original I suppose.

I will definitely keep following your build. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the input. Not sure what I'm gonna do with doors yet but I will figure it out. Once I get them cut open I will probably use my spot blaster to get to as much of the rust inside as possible. Then use a rust encapsulator spray inside the doors. Same stuff I used in the frame rails under trunk pan. Weld in new metal, seam seal and prime. Hopefully that will work.

Got a little more done today. Not a whole lot but progress. Got the doors jams cleaned, sanded, and scuffed. Cut out the big dents in rocker, welded in patch, and got first coat of mud in it. Also got the hole at corner of jam cut out , new piece welded in, and mud work done. More sanding tomorrow and start taping of for primer. More pics.

Before

16irrwn.jpg

After

5d4ev9.jpg

33dz5m8.jpg

Before

24xpdu0.jpg

After

4iimg4.jpg

2ic1nqr.jpg

2hek3fl.jpg

f0vhpt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got all the sanding done on body. Everything is scuffed. Wiped down several times with wax and grease remover. Clean as a whistle. Started taping the body off getting ready for primer but ran outta time. Steeler game is coming on! Here we go steelers, here we go!!!!

kaic91.jpg

29o63km.jpg

2ykak3b.jpg

Got some more done on the car this week. Got some plastic hung for my make shift paint booth. Couple intake fans and exhaust fans. It worked pretty well. I was able to get the trunk seams all seam sealed. Then primed whole trunk. Then shot whole inside with U-pol multi-liner. Then today I was able to get a couple coats of high build filler primer on the car. Turned out pretty good. Gonna let it set for 2 weeks then start blocking, blocking, blocking! ? In the mean time I will start patching the doors and fender to get them ready for primer. Here's some pics. Enjoy!

28ml7qu.jpg

2vttw0p.jpg

4jqby9.jpg

34zwxa0.jpg

s1pzq1.jpg

160dlz9.jpg

34iliis.jpg

rlmh6t.jpg

f1zf2f.jpg

ip6urm.jpg

o5nuvq.jpg

iqhaxl.jpg

28km1y1.jpg

eu38z9.jpg

mux4.jpg

Wow, this project is flying, amazing ,where did the turtle thing come from ?, lol.
Thanks guys! Its moving along pretty good. I have to keep this pace if I want to have it finished by April. That's my goal since my sons kart racing season starts up again in april and I have a good bit of setup work to do to it since we got a new chassis.

I have had the turtle handle for years! I had a pet turtle for over 20 years. My brother found it in a mud puddle by a pond when I was about 8-9 years old. He was a really cool pet.

Got a little bit done on the doors tonight. Got the door handles, latches, glass, hinges etc stripped off the door shell. Started poking around some more and found more holes!! Yay!!lollerz I'm gonna end up patching a lot of the bottoms of these doors. Hope to have them finished up by this weekend. Here's a couple pics.

13z1v5v.jpg

2cr7src.jpg

nzk2ll.jpg

208h66c.jpg

9029eb.jpg

34t21ht.jpg

s4os3s.jpg

2cxjj1y.jpg

Well I got the passenger door done. It was a bit of a pain in the arse. But I think it turned out pretty nice. Got all the holes patched up. The bottom seam on a he door is a tough patch to make but not too bad. That was the first time I have had to make one of those. The other door is gonna need more of the same. I'm hoping to have it finished up by end of the weekend. Then get doors in primer and then start on the fenders. Some pics. Enjoy.

pictures of image

img to url

Way to save that door Kevin. Project is looking great.

Looks like that was a Texas car that got hose washed a couple times a week to feed the rust. It is not just road salt that rusts bare metal and in the cracks and joints that hold the water. I have said many times never wash your car with hose or car wash. Just a bucket of water and towel and wipe it down and NO RUNNING WATER.

You seem to be moving along even with the speed bumps that keep jumping up. Great work I am sure you will inspire others to do some work. I see numbers some throw out for repairs for shop time and think there is no way I would pay for that. Too many leaning on the shovel handles in some shops.

Good to hear you are letting the primer do a final shrink. I have had some argue that it does not matter today. Prime it sand it and paint it. I think not. Years ago you needed several weeks to let everything shrink down before final sand. I let one set for several months back in the 70's. My friend that does them likes to have three cars going so you can let them set but still stay busy.

Great work.

Kevin, maybe I missed it but what tool(s) are you using to remove the existing paint?

A Dynazip style wire wheel? Followed up by ???

Looks great!

Thanks guys. Its coming along. I got the driver side door metal work done today. These doors looked a lot better than they actually were. I ended up replacing a 29 " section of the bottom of the door and a couple inches at each end of the door. Sure would be nice if they would start repopping some skins for these doors. The seam was shot on this door. It turned out pretty good though. Just a helpful hint for anyone doing a long butt weld. Whether its on a door, or quarter panel. Make sure you move around a lot and don't put too much heat in the panel. I even keep a wet rag with me to cool the panel after every weld. Then when you are grinding make sure not to generate too much heat. Grinding can cause the panel to warp just as easy as welding, so be careful. I use a wet rag to cool my grinding too. So just keep that in mind and your butt welds should turn out really nice.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Nice work on your doors Jay! Luckily I didn't have to get into the inner structure too much... mainly just the bottom seam.

I'm hoping to have these in primer this week. And as David said I will let them set a couple weeks before I start block sanding them.

Well heres some pics. The pic with all the black marker circles are all the door dings I have to fix too..... :huh:

Also what happened to the "tinypic" link to add pics??

quick image uploader

free pictures upload

image upload

ssl image hosting

picture uploading

Back