New project for this winter. 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, maybe I missed it but what tool(s) are you using to remove the existing paint?

A Dynazip style wire wheel? Followed up by ???

Looks great!
Pete,

I was using a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder to get the scaly big rust off. I used 80 grit on a DA to do the out surface of door. And I used a 2" Roloc by 3m with 50 grit wheel on my air angle grinder to grind everything down. Lots of hand sanding the nooks and crannies with sandpaper and scotch brite pads.

What do you use to cut out the bad spots? I tried a 4 inch angle grinder and it just seems to big for corners and what not.

What do you use to cut out the bad spots? I tried a 4 inch angle grinder and it just seems to big for corners and what not.
I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with whiz wheel for the big cuts. I use a small air powered 2 1/2" whiz wheel for the small cuts. And a body saw for some cuts if the other two won't fit. Don't be too worried if your cut goes a little to far in the corners, you can easily weld those slices up. And if you need to make rounded corners you can use a drill and bit with the radius you want then connect the 4 corner holes with one of the 3 cutting tools I mentioned. Here's a pic of the main cutting tools I use. And in the other pic you can see where I had to slice a little further than I wanted. But that was easily filled with weld.

photo share

Thanks. Makes me want to try to repair my doors rather than look for replacements!

Thanks. Makes me want to try to repair my doors rather than look for replacements!
Give it try. Nothing to lose. It's just metal, you can always put more in if you mess up a cut. But have yourself a cheap metal brake, set of body hammers and dollies. Also a decent welder. Most of the small hand tools you can get from harbor freight. Biggest investment will be a welder but you can get a decent 110volt welder for panels. Here's some of my stuff. Let me know if you have any questions and don't be afraid to cut some stuff up!::thumb::

free image hosting

Last edited by a moderator:
"How come Kevin always gets the good stuff?!"

My buddy used to say that in his best whiny voice whenever I'd do something cool at the shop. Cracks me up every time.

Nice stuff, BTW! No wonder you're kicking so much arse on this - it really pays to have the right tools. ::thumb::

Yeah eric you gotta have the right tools. I remember using my vise and a couple pieces of angle iron to make bends in sheetmetal. The brake is so nice to have around. There's a ton of tool I want but I have enough to get by!  lollerz  I was able to get the passenger door finished tonight. Ready for primer and hopefully be able to spray both doors this weekend. Ready to start fenders! Keep on keeping on. 

images img

You do nice work. I was curious whether or not you use ospho to neutralize the rust you can't get at or see surrounding your areas of repair.

You do nice work. I was curious whether or not you use ospho to neutralize the rust you can't get at or see surrounding your areas of repair.
Thanks Ray. I do seal up the rust with a type of rust encapsulator. I did the inside of the door and inner door seam with it. I just brush it on. I don't know what it is or the name of it. My buddy works on boilers and steam pipes and hooked me up with it. It seems to work pretty well. You brush it on and it's white. When it comes in contact with rust it turns purple. I used it on the frame of my truck few years ago and my doors. They are still holding up well. 

I wasn't able to get the front of the doors primed today. I caught the flu bug and been laid up sick all day! Hopefully early this week get them shot in primer.

I wish I had all your energy, nice work on the doors! Ryan

That sounds like the same reaction as ospho. There are other brands out there . That helps a great deal at slowing down or even stopping future problems. Sorry to hear about the flu bug. Yuck . That'll slow ya down a bit. Are you guys getting the monster snow up there or did it miss ya?

Thanks guys. Yeah this flu kinda kicked my butt yesterday and a little today. I was really wanting to get those doors primed, but there's always tomorrow. As far as the snow, we haven't got much of anything! Very mild winter here in PA so far. Couple inches here and there then it all melts away. Saturday it was 55*. This morning its 22* and about 2" of snow. By Saturday and sunday it is supposed to be 60* Damn you El NINO!!! But it makes for heating the garage much easier.

Amazing what you can do! Very nice result so far! I wished I was so handy and had the space... I have the bright molding strips on the side as well. These photo's are very handy ! If you have time, when you install the bright molding strips again , can you take some more photo's? Thanks for sharing so far!

Jeroen

Not much to report this week. Stupid cold has been kicking my a**. Going to try to get back at it hard this weekend and get the passenger fender and front bumper ready for primer. We ended up punting on the driver side fender. Found a lot more rot than originally thought! What started as a hole about the size of a quarter turned into a hell of a mess. And it was pretty dented and crinkled at the bottom of the fender. Even the support bracket on the back was rotted and damaged. I know I could of fixed it, but the time I would of had in it would of been pretty substantial. And getting the curve just right would of been a challenge. So we decided to just order a new fender from Dynacorn. Heres a couple pics of the fender and I got the door hinges bead blasted too. They turned out good. Hopefully see more progress this weekend.

https://ibb.co/kebwmF

https://ibb.co/m0OLDv

https://ibb.co/kwe5fa

https://ibb.co/gOgJ0a

Back