New speedometer cable question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Previous owner had an autometer cluster installed, very nice unit. The speedo cable was never attached, and it appears to be too short.

I have a brand new one that was part of my moderndriveline kit for the TKO.

My question, I don't understand how it attaches to the speedometer? The cable end slips in, and I can make the speedo turn, but the end of the speedo has threads on it, and the speedo end cap does not have threads, and a plastic clip that will not clear the metal strap that is behind the speedo.

Probably a really silly question but I am feeling really dumb right now :)

Thoughts?

Well, looking at my own pictures.... I assume I take off the metal plate and slide it down the cable, and the plastic clip utilizes one flat side of the speedo? Then put the plate back on?

speedo1.jpg

speedo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Previous owner had an autometer cluster installed, very nice unit. The speedo cable was never attached, and it appears to be too short.

I have a brand new one that was part of my moderndriveline kit for the TKO.

My question, I don't understand how it attaches to the speedometer? The cable end slips in, and I can make the speedo turn, but the end of the speedo has threads on it, and the speedo end cap does not have threads, and a plastic clip that will not clear the metal strap that is behind the speedo.

Probably a really silly question but I am feeling really dumb right now :)

Thoughts?

Well, looking at my own pictures.... I assume I take off the metal plate and slide it down the cable, and the plastic clip utilizes one flat side of the speedo? Then put the plate back on?
You have a stock cable which the autometer speedo does not accept. You will need to buy a new cable with a threaded end compatible with the autometer speedo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back