New suspension mods available- Maier Racing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be awesome. My '73 Mach-1 certainly is no gem...yet. Needs paint, complete interior, but I did put new wheels and tires on it. It's still in the "under construction" phase. Also, with the automatic and the low gears, it tends to run a little warm driving on the freeway.

I don't know if I could truly "represent" but I am certainly interested in a car show.

That would be awesome. My '73 Mach-1 certainly is no gem...yet. Needs paint, complete interior, but I did put new wheels and tires on it. It's still in the "under construction" phase. Also, with the automatic and the low gears, it tends to run a little warm driving on the freeway.

I don't know if I could truly "represent" but I am certainly interested in a car show.
Cool...well check out the site and spread the word.. We are expecting about 300 vehicles this year. It's always a great event!

Hope to see you there!

Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to notify XOLIEX. He lives in the Sacramento area. I believe he is in the process of puting his new 460 stroker in his car. It should be pretty wild when it's complete.

How much does this setup set you back because I really like it
So I talked to Mike Maier today and while they don't have it updated on their site yet, he told me that it would run the same price as the 70 Panhard kit, which is $379.00. The subs are $369.00.

He said he got a few emails from the 7173Mustang crew already and was stoked that the word is out. If interest continues, he said that they may endeaver into even more suspension upgrades for the 71-73 platform.

Here is the link to their suspension only site with the detail. You can call them or email to [email protected]

http://www.maiermotorsports.com/rear-suspension

So I talked to Mike Maier today and while they don't have it updated on their site yet, he told me that it would run the same price as the 70 Panhard kit, which is $379.00. The subs are $369.00.

He said he got a few emails from the 7173Mustang crew already and was stoked that the word is out. If interest continues, he said that they may endeaver into even more suspension upgrades for the 71-73 platform.

Here is the link to their suspension only site with the detail. You can call them or email to [email protected]

I was one of the one's that sent them an email and inquired about Staggered shock cars. They said it would work fine but the exhaust would need to be rerouted (figured that though). I also asked about a custom Monte Carlo bar for the 71-73's that would clear the Dist. cap and for ram-air setups. They said that if someone was in the area they would love to fab one on their car but needed a volunteer......I'm in OH so I can't but anyone close to help out the rest of the community?...:)

BDK

I was one of the one's that sent them an email and inquired about Staggered shock cars. They said it would work fine but the exhaust would need to be rerouted (figured that though). I also asked about a custom Monte Carlo bar for the 71-73's that would clear the Dist. cap and for ram-air setups. They said that if someone was in the area they would love to fab one on their car but needed a volunteer......I'm in OH so I can't but anyone close to help out the rest of the community?...:)

BDK
Right on..I need to roll by there next week and talk about maybe making some slight mod's to the upper panhard bar bracket to allow for more tailpipe clearance on the passenger side, so I'll ask about the Monte Carlo bar and see if they want to take some measurements. Check back with me late next week and I'll let you know how it goes.

For most use the leaf springs do a fine job of locating the rear. Under hard cornering leaf springs deflect and affect handling. They were used on the TransAm Mustangs back in the day. Kinda the same reasons some sort of traction bar is needed for hard acceleration.

Those are nice, but what good is a panhard bar on a leaf spring suspension? I can understand a coil spring solid axle rear, but not a leaf.

For most use the leaf springs do a fine job of locating the rear. Under hard cornering leaf springs deflect and affect handling. They were used on the TransAm Mustangs back in the day. Kinda the same reasons some sort of traction bar is needed for hard acceleration.
Correct, although traction bars are designed to prevent axle wrap and keep the leafs from loading under hard acceleration.

The panhard bar is designed to reduce or prevent lateral movement.

I can tell you first hand that adding the panhard bar and subframe connectors, was like night and day in the handling.

Not sure if you read my previous comments that started the thread, but I wasn't expecting such a drastic difference and I certainly wouldn't recommend if it didn't make any difference or even very little difference.

Panhard bars have been used in racing for years with great success in leaf spring cars. And with bigger cars like ours, where they are able to have a longer rod, they work very, very well, as I can attest to first hand.

It may not be for everyone, but one hard turn in hard acceleration our even in deceleration, I was a believer and really blown away.

I drive my car hard everytime I get in it. If it breaks, it gives me something to fix and make better! We have some really nice twisting roads that go on and on through the hills here in Nothern California and I utilize them every chance I get. This last run made me smile for a few hours after.

Night and day, that's all I can say brothers!

Looking forward to acing the 15" BF Goodrichs and getting some nice 17" Bridgestone's on there and then seeing what's really going on!

Thanks for the info. My car has Cal-Tracs on it and they seem to help quite a bit. They were on it when I bought it, but was thinking of going back to stock as for some reason the left hand side front eye seems to have elongated and it's not tight anymore.

MAybe I should go your route intead:)

Guy, that would be awesome....lemme know what they say about bringing one into production....

BDK

Hello guys72Mach1,

I like what you did to the mustang body/suspension upgrade! According to Maier Racing, these parts are listed for the 1965 through 1970 Mustangs. There was no fit issues? Does Maier Racing say they are designed to fit the 1971-73 Mustangs? I see the sub-frame connectors are also listed for only 65-70. Maybe they have not updated the web catalog. Please advise.

mustang7173 :huh:
+1

I am also looking to do sub frame work and wanted to the same thing. On the other hand I really like what Obsidian71 did on his car but I don't think I have the skill he does with a welder.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-sn71?page=5

Just found this on Dallas Mustangs site "Subframe Connectors, 1967-1973, Coupe & Fastback, Global West" http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/Subframe-Connectors-1967-1973-Coupe-Fastback-Global-West/10481

I would call Maier Racing but I bet if you are welding these in they will cover 67-73 just fine. Just a guess at this point. I am out of town for a while but I'll re-post when I can if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Also the proof would be on the nice red fastback! :D
Thanks for the plug! :) I made mine myself copying these I found: http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/category_id=60/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd58.htm

Back