No electrical power

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
I guess this is what it is with old cars???? Finally a great weekend weather wise, and no go.

Last Saturday is last time I drove it, other than major failure of cheap Jegs wheels (I now have Welds), it was A-ok.

Go in it today, nothing. No lights, gauges dont move, nothing. However, the clock is ticking away, taunting me if you will..

Charged battery, changed to another battery, both of which load test as perfect.

Checked main ground, dirty but didnt make a diff

Checked all wires leading to and from solenoid, cleaned and retightned.

Checked fuses, all look good.

Checked to see if the ignition switch wires cam undone (had off when I did the transmission swap), they are good. However, I would think that the lights would work with or without those wires hooked up?

Any thoughts?

If the car has a single post junction box near the solenoid check for good connections there. Just a thought. Chuck

If clock is ticking, you should have interior courtesy lights when you open the door.

Does the radio work? When you put the key to ACC, does the fuel gauge register?

Is this an automagic car? Could your neutral safety switch need adjusting? How about putting it in Neutral and start it up?

I'll bet on a NSS issue, as you recently have worked on the transmission.

Clock is the only thing working, but I think previous owner has it hooked up to a secondary always hot wire that he ran for the door poppers (he had doors shaved). Going to pull that wire after work and see if I am right. He installed auto meter gauges, including an autometer clock

Not a NSS issue, its not a starting issue, there is zero power to anything. No headlights, no brake lights, no wipers, no nothing. Nothing happens when key is turned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna check those after work. From what I can tell, there are 4 fusible links between the junction box and where the wire goes into the firewall. Does that sound right? I am sure the butchered wiring in the car overall is not doing me any favors.

Got it running, not trusting it though. Something with the yellow power wire that comes off solenoid. Fusible link looks awful but wire is still intact. There were three other useless wires on the same terminal, took them all off and it doesnt cut out anymore which is bizarre. Thinking it best to run a new main power wire instead of undoing the miles of electrical tape in the loom. Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Latest posts

Back