No fuel to carburetor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot one possibility

If it hasn't been run since the fuel pump change, it is possible to reverse the lines and have the pump sucking the carb dry.

Done it once myself :(
I did crank it multiple times with the new fuel pump. What do you mean with reversing the lines? I know i have them installed correctly

If it is blowing out the carburetor, you need to make sure your distributor is located correctly. It is very easy to get it 180 degrees out. Timing that is out will cause this!

I forgot one possibility

If it hasn't been run since the fuel pump change, it is possible to reverse the lines and have the pump sucking the carb dry.

Not possible

Few thing that it could be

Clogged filters

Clogged screen in tank

Improperly installed sender??

Also, the fuel pump eccentric issues??

When cranking the engine, remove gas line from tank and put finger over fuel pump nipple and feel for suction

Spray into the hose by fuel pump heading back to the tank. Again make sure the gas cap is off so the air has some place to go.

Also you mentioned in an earlier post that you tried starting fluid and it tried to start and sprayed back up. Has the timing been messed with since the last time it ran?
Yeah so i just tried it again with a little starter fluid being put into the front barrels of the carburetor. When i cranked the engine i'd hear a "Tssst tsst" sound from the carb and some of the starter fluid shoots out the top of the carburetor and i see a little bit of smoke inside the carburetor.
I saw you had posted a video on Facebook, repost it here for the members to see. Just from what you describe, it sounds like your timing is off. 

Disconnect the coil, remove the #1 spark plug and turn the engine over with a remote bump switch (or by breaker bar). Hold a finger over the #1 plug hole until the compression pressure pops past it. Stop and slip a wood dowel into the plug hole and rotate the engine over with the bar. When the dowel stops moving, you should see the pointer indicating within ten degrees or so of TDC on the damper. If not, the ring on the damper is has slipped. Now check the distributor rotor, it should be pointing roughly at the driver's seat. If it's way off, you need to rectify that. Verify that your rotor is also pointing at the #1 cap terminal and that the wires are on the correct terminals, in the correct firing order and direction of rotation.

Cleveland's firing order 13756548 in a counter-clockwise direction, see graphic below.

- If that's all good, rotate the engine backwards past TDC, then bring it back forward to 10* BTDC indicated on the damper, rotate the distributor body to align the rotor with the #1 terminal and snug it down.

- Once you're square there, squirt a little gas down the carb throat and try starting the engine - it should fire and run for a few seconds. 

I forgot one possibility

Not possible
maybe not with the factory steel line to the carb, but I absolutely did just as I described.

I think it is TIME to hear "condition of this motor" before two years ago, how it ran IF IT RAN and work done since. (Most here know this is a timing issue COMBINED with a fuel to carb issue!)

Once known IF this car "ran fine" before and if it was apart to inspect things, we can help fix. Personally I would want to know WHAT cam gear is in the car! If it is the old plastic then it is likely bad. OR if it was replaced was the eccentric changed with the wrong style?

Mistakes in this area COULD BE the two problems.

If you rule out , by using a borescope ($200 homedepot) you will know if you have to take apart.

Mark

P.S. Don't make me come out there and fix this !

Spray into the hose by fuel pump heading back to the tank. Again make sure the gas cap is off so the air has some place to go.

Also you mentioned in an earlier post that you tried starting fluid and it tried to start and sprayed back up. Has the timing been messed with since the last time it ran?
Yeah so i just tried it again with a little starter fluid being put into the front barrels of the carburetor. When i cranked the engine i'd hear a "Tssst tsst" sound from the carb and some of the starter fluid shoots out the top of the carburetor and i see a little bit of smoke inside the carburetor.
I saw you had posted a video on Facebook, repost it here for the members to see. Just from what you describe, it sounds like your timing is off. 

Disconnect the coil, remove the #1 spark plug and turn the engine over with a remote bump switch (or by breaker bar). Hold a finger over the #1 plug hole until the compression pressure pops past it. Stop and slip a wood dowel into the plug hole and rotate the engine over with the bar. When the dowel stops moving, you should see the pointer indicating within ten degrees or so of TDC on the damper. If not, the ring on the damper is has slipped. Now check the distributor rotor, it should be pointing roughly at the driver's seat. If it's way off, you need to rectify that. Verify that your rotor is also pointing at the #1 cap terminal and that the wires are on the correct terminals, in the correct firing order and direction of rotation.

Cleveland's firing order 13756548 in a counter-clockwise direction, see graphic below.

- If that's all good, rotate the engine backwards past TDC, then bring it back forward to 10* BTDC indicated on the damper, rotate the distributor body to align the rotor with the #1 terminal and snug it down.

- Once you're square there, squirt a little gas down the carb throat and try starting the engine - it should fire and run for a few seconds. 

Thank you!! Yeah i posted it on 2 different Facebook pages. I tried to upload the video as a reply here but it wouldn't let me. If i can figure out how to upload it I definitely will

if you fill the fuel bowls it doesn't matter if you are getting fuel to the carb or not. The car will run until the bowls run empty. If it doesn't run this way and is backfiring out of the top of the carb when trying to start as he describes, it is likely a timing issue that should be sorted first. That is what timing has to do with it.

Well, let's just say I dont agree

#1, plugs are most likely fouled due to the unmetered fuel being dumped in carb, bet 8f he pulls a plug or 2 there soaked, 

#2, fix the delivery issue 1st, then we can get into the possibility of a timing issue.

#3 , your never going to fix both issues at the same time

Agree to disagree then. IMHO the timing should be taken care of first. To do this properly he would at least be pulling the plug for #1 and can address fouled plug issue at that time. If the timing is say 180 out, continuing to try to start the car while backfiring out the carb is going to do nothing but cause other problems like damage to the carb and possibility of fire.

Just my food for thought. When going back to his original post he states that he is not getting any fuel. As this problem has been address it is noted that there seems to be some backfire through the carb. We know the distributor has been pulled because he had his heads off. As waterlife stated you can't fix two problems at once. I would check the timing first since it only takes a few minutes to do and because the carb backfire is a timing issue or some really carbon fouled plugs. And as 73 pony said when he pulls number 1 he can check for fouling. Could pull a couple of plugs if he wanted to while he is at it. Once the timing has been verified then he can concentrate on fuel delivery if the engine still will not start. Note - on his last post he stated that he heard a tsst tsst from the carb and some starter fluid shot out. This would seem to indicate blowback from either a valve or timing chain issue. He said head had his heads refurbished because of a hairline crack. Could be a valve or valve seat got screwed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this has gone on and on and on. No further ahead than before from what I'm reading. Now, I know jack squat about engines other than logic.

Obviously there are several issues at play here.

First, no fuel getting to the carb. That was the original question. So address that first, find out why. Should be easy. LOGIC tells me to pull the rubber hose off the inlet tube at the apron, attach a vacuum pump like for brake bleeding and see if it pulls gas into the container. If it does, there's gas that far at least. Of course the lines could be rusted on the inside as mine where, but that all can be addressed later. So, we have gas at the inlet to the pump. Great, we're on a roll! Our friend stated in answer to my question; was the pump installed correctly? Answer was "yes" and from the description, sounds like it was. ** After thought, open the gas cap in case the cap vent is plugged preventing the pump pulling fuel**

Second, I'd disconnect the electrics to the coil and ground the HT lead. Timing is NOT required at this point, so all we need is to crank the motor, a jump start switch is best for this rather than keep having to go to the ignition key. Crank the motor and gas should reach the carb. I'm not at all familiar with Edlebrock carbs, hate the look of the thing!, but I assume there is some sort of float level sight glass or screw (as in Holley carbs) If a plug, remove it and gas should come out of it once the fuel fills the bowl. If it does you got gas!! If it doesn't you got problems!! Find out why and fix it, can't be that hard to do.

Third, Once you have gas at the carb, now is the time to find out WHY it won't start. Backfire through the carb is surely timing or misfire. Side note; I just went through a similar issue with my car, thought I had a fuel issue, got me frustrated as hell, only to find I had a cracked and carbon tracked distributor cap. New cap, no more problems.

It is highly possible the timing is way off, you need to start from the beginning. Others have suggested what to do with sound advice imo. The first thing I'd do is make sure the cap is wired correctly and I'd also go buy NEW copper wound (not solid copper) over carbon spark plug wires , about 80 bucks. If the factory dist. is running points, switch to Pertronix Ignitor II AND matching Flamethrower coil, OR buy a DuraSpark distributor properly set up for your engine. If you have anything else, ditch it.

Okay, the cap is correctly wired and plugs are either cleaned or replaced. Bad or wrong plugs can also be an issue. I would put in a set of Autolite 24's for now. The rotor ought to be pointing roughly towards the #1 plug with the #1 piston at TDC, ignition stoke. If it's not, the distributor will need to be lifted and reset. Turn the rotor c/clockwise about 1/4 turn and reinstall the dist. making sure you get the oil pump drive in the hex in the shaft. When the dist, drops in, the rotor will move clockwise as the gear mesh. If the rotor is 180 off, you'll have to find the compression stroke on #1 then reset the distributor. Hope I got that right, I'm no expert as I said, BUT I have done this myself.

As mentioned, the timing mark on the damper should be about 6 -10 deg. before (or below) the pointer on the block #1 piston at near TDC. If it is I think it should fire.

Get it to fire up before attempting to go too far. Initial timing with an unmodified (re-curved) distributor I would start at 6 degrees BTDC. Mine is set at 14 deg. with a recurved factory dist. with 20 deg. on the crank for a total of 34 mechanical, plus 4-6* vacuum.

One step at a time, fuel to carb? Check, sparks in the right place?, check, then start it up, warm it up and make small adjustments. Once done, it'll purr like a kitten.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!! Yeah i posted it on 2 different Facebook pages. I tried to upload the video as a reply here but it wouldn't let me. If i can figure out how to upload it I definitely will
Upload it to Youtube and post the link here.

#1, plugs are most likely fouled due to the unmetered fuel being dumped in carb, bet 8f he pulls a plug or 2 there soaked, 

#2, fix the delivery issue 1st, then we can get into the possibility of a timing issue.

If you had seen the video, you would have a different perspective. It's popping back through the carb, which is indicative of timing being off. All the fuel in the world won't fix that.

It's on the 7173mustangs.com FB page - search Zak Nyberg

Upload it to Youtube and post the link here.

If you had seen the video, you would have a different perspective.  It's popping back through the carb, which is indicative of timing being off. All the fuel in the world won't fix that.

It's on the 7173mustangs.com FB page - search Zak Nyberg
Popping thru  the carb could  be bent valves, fouled plugs, crossed wires, cracked cap, ect

Back