Not a happy camper right now......really down!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got my newly rebuilt C4 yesterday

question.

What is that wire/plug for? I don't think my FMX had that....:huh:

20150418_174600.jpg

20150418_211657plug.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nuetral safety is external on the c6 and c4 the fmx has the nuetral safety inside the car underneath the shifter.

That is that electrical plug you can disconnect it and use the fmx one.

Just be aware the shift linkage is different from the fmx to c4 as well, different on the c6 also.

I believe the driveshaft needs to be changed either short or longer I do not remember.

Not sure about the trans cross member either I thing that was different as well.

Hopefully somebody that knows more chimes in.

a quick look and it looks like the fly wheel from fmx and the c4 are the same.
Careful with that... looks like your "pan fill" C4 was from a truck application, using a 164T flexplate.

All C4's are not created equal.

Lots of basic info here:

http://www.pigseye.com/sadie/trans/c4.htm

I don't know what the physical/fitment differences are between the 157T and 164T bellhousings/starter/flexplate/converter mounting depth, etc., so I'm no help there.

With that being said...

Measure, inquire, and research twice.

Install once.

I've discovered the differences when looking for replacement for the 2 broken bellhousings for the transmissions that I have in my inventory. I had to figure out exactly what exact trannies that they were, and look for the exact engineering # bell to fit them since they both were blasted clear off of the main cases.

Update....got the trans installed. have plenty of clearance for long tube headers and the pan filled dip stick. Whew!!

But now....the mount is completely different as are the trans cooler line which I expected.

Question: now where do I get a trans mount that will fit??

20150426_190535.jpg

20150426_190554.jpg

20150426_190604.jpg

20150426_190636.jpg

you would have to change the cross member to a C6 version from the FMX. or if you need a C4 verison you can get that also.

you will also need different transmission mounts as well.

the cross member is around 100$ off ebay you could contact don at OHIO mustang and see if he has one.

the trans lines are reproduced or you can make them, there is some hardware you might be missing since you are coming from a fmx to a C6.

here is an update....

put the trans in, but noticed my motor mounts cracked. So went ahead and pulled the whole motor out.

oh well...all fun!

20150502_131551.jpg

20150503_160505.jpg

update....

since motor is out....went ahead and touch up the headers.

ceramic coated...got some rust! Really!!!

oh well...nothing a lil rattle can high temp paint can't fix.

here is a pic of one of headers that I did and one that needs touching up.

just waiting on my trans cross member from Don at Ohio...then its all going back in!

20150506_081721.jpg

20150506_081705.jpg

update.....

headers painted and installed.

Just waiting for my new transmission lines.

20150509_102911.jpg

20150509_102921.jpg

update:

haven't done anything...been raining. need a good .sunny weekend to drop the motor back in.

Yep, the car is outside all covered up....wish had a big enough garage to put the car and do work.

if the headers leak, use remflex gaskets.

quick update....newly rebuilt transmission is in! found out that I had a tranny from a truck with column shift - turns out the shift lever is all whacked! the new shift rods I bought..didn't work. So ended up with B&M shifter.

will be posting pics soon.

also, finally got to drive it around the block! ahhhh felt great to hear the small block rumble!!!

quick note: getting use to this B&M star shifter...little weird...but, so cool to just jam up the shifter from 1 to 2 to drive without worrying I'm going to miss a gear!

Back