Number of owners before me

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 completely stock ivy green with silver stripes.
Wow I went to the trouble of composing a letter to the Arkansas Dept of motor vehicles. I was going to include all the paperwork I have showing the dates I have when ownership of my car changed. Because of privacy laws they cannot give out the previous owners names. I never mailed the letter and paperwork to Arkansas, today I decided to call them to see if they would give me information. A gentleman named Martin gave me all the information excluding names and addresses of previous owners. My car was sold new in Little Rock Arkansas 2/26/73 never left Arkansas until I purchased her. She changed ownership the 1st time 02/01/86 the 2nd time 02/12/01 the third time 11/10/03 and I purchased her 7/15/19 making me the 4th owner and caretaker. This information made my day.

Attachments

• IMG_0296.jpeg
    IMG_0296.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I have the complete list of names and dates of all previous owners of my 71 Mach 1 from the California DMV. I only got names and dates, no addresses as that was not allowed. With some research and good ol' detective work, I was able to track down one of the PO's. From there I was able to contact all but two PO's and get a complete history up to that point. I am listed as the 6th owner with the Cal DMV. The original owner, who owned the car from new for a little over 30 years had passed away by the time I started my research in 2009. The owner I bought the car from was a great help as well and we stayed in touch for many years.
Having this information is valuable and well worth the trouble to find out.

I have the complete list of names and dates of all previous owners of my 71 Mach 1 from the California DMV. I only got names and dates, no addresses as that was not allowed. With some research and good ol' detective work, I was able to track down one of the PO's. From there I was able to contact all but two PO's and get a complete history up to that point. I am listed as the 6th owner with the Cal DMV. The original owner, who owned the car from new for a little over 30 years had passed away by the time I started my research in 2009. The owner I bought the car from was a great help as well and we stayed in touch for many years.
Having this information is valuable and well worth the trouble to find out.
I was able to talk to the owner before me he had her 16 years. He traded her for a pickup truck at a small dealer. He acted like he was pissed off he traded it . He had a case of CRS ( can’t remember shit) . And was very unhelpful .

This is awesome information to have! If I made the same request from the CA DMV, I would have needed to call back in 1973 (when I was 9 years old) to hopefully hear back from them this year! And only to hear that because of privacy laws, no information could be given.
That’s why I was surprised to get the info I got. When I asked for the info I said I was aware of the privacy laws and I would like to just get the dates the car changed owners.

Different States have different laws I assume. When I first thought of doing this, I found the forms needed on the Cal DMV website, printed them off, filled out the info and mailed it in. It did not take too long to get the reply and the info I needed. Maybe things have changed since then. One thing I do wish I'd done was to photocopy the filled out forms to keep in my records.

It’s nice to know the history of your car and it would be great to talk to the pervious owners.
My 72 Mach 1 was sold new 12 miles from my house. The original owner and second owner have both past away. I told a neighbor of mine the name of the original owner and he recognized his name and said him and his brother own a trash service in Nashville. I looked up the company and it is still operating so I emailed them and told them I had Williams old Mustang. I received an email from the original owners son confirming it was his fathers old Mustang.
Then just a couple weeks ago I was home during a Friday and the original owners trash service truck drove past my house and picks up another neighbors thrash. Pretty crazy that 51 years later the original owners thrash truck is driving past his old Mustang every Friday.
I need to switch trash service.

Last edited:
Update: fixed typos!!
I've had my car for 46 years, it sat unloved for 25 years, but not forgotten. A few years back I got it on the road and looked at the owner manual and found the original owner name and number. So made contact. The lady remembered the car and had to trade it because she was having a baby, a two door vert wasn't going to work. I was the one who bought it. My first car and paid $2900. My father said, "I would get kill if I bought it". Lol. Picture shortly after I bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_125108071.jpg
    IMG_20200516_125108071.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back