Occupations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool Dean.JPGOver 21 years in Pennsylvania Department of Corrections after 5 years U.S Air Force.

Wish I could retire, but Mustang Habit is Costly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Civil engineer specializing in traffic engineering and transportation planning.

Edit: I semi-retired in 2013. Still working as needed on high-profile projects like a new freeway from Tuscon to Northern Nevada (I-11) and a route for an application for a Hyperloop route in Nevada.

We truly have the diversity of talents and skills on this board to start up and run our own city!
Can I be the guy that drives the fire truck?

Count me in when the Armageddon comes.

Who wants to host the party?

mike
I'm centrally located. :D

Well. Here are a few pics of what I can do with stainless steel and a grinder. I skipped a few steps in the pictures because the difference is not that visible in the pictures.
Man, I need your skills on repairing a stainless Cobra frame that I'm working on.

That finish looks fantastic.

I'm a Certified Master Automtive Technician... fancy term for mechanic. Been turning wrenches for a long time, lately I've been doing a lot of light truck diesel repair, but I do full service. Have plans to open my own shop in the future. The work I do at home usually funds my projects.

Im a forensic analyst. I investigate computer crime, hackings, malware analysis, cell phones, hard drives, anything that holds electronic evidence. We handle civil and criminal cases. Before that i was an EMT for a few years, still am. Currently a firefighter as well. I keep busy.

I work for Verizon as a Section Manager we do Surveillance and Maintenance for all Data Circuits Worldwide. However I had a Stroke last June and have been on disability since. But Im about 90% recovered and am returning to work in July! :)

I have a shop in back in which I restore and modify cars of all types and models, but some how always ends up more mustangs than all others combined. Retired from construction in 06 to pursue a dream, I built my shop and now I walk 100 feet to "work" (if you can call it that) each day with a big smile on my face. The only draw back to this is the fact that I don't have enough time for my own toys.

I'm a retired Canadian serviceman with almost 27 years in the Navy where I was employed as a Hull Technician (Shipwright). My current employment is as a civilian Safety and Environment Inspector, working on the same ships that I used to sailed on, with a whole different attitude.

I make custom concealment holsters, from Kydex.

Y-12_ODG17_web.jpg

K-25_MP9_OD_web_01.jpg

I make custom concealment holsters, from Kydex.

Y-12_ODG17_web.jpg

K-25_MP9_OD_web_01.jpg
Wow, that's what I call custom fit, nice! The last time I saw anything fit that "custom" was wearing a bikini on a Tuscany beach.

Jim
Thanks! Kydex is wonderful stuff, Jim, and making it form to the gun is the easy part. The real trick is designing and making a holster with both a smooth draw, and firm retention (two qualities that are somewhat opposite), that will conceal a full size pistol, and ride comfortably enough for all day carry.

Thanks! Kydex is wonderful stuff, Jim, and making it form to the gun is the easy part. The real trick is designing and making a holster with both a smooth draw, and firm retention (two qualities that are somewhat opposite), that will conceal a full size pistol, and ride comfortably enough for all day carry.

I agree 100%, you need a firm retention so it doesn't "flop out" but you can't afford to have it "stick" when you need it. The key is the fit and material used, it certianly appears you guys have mastered that.

Jim

So does your car have half integer spin or integer spin?

Chuck
Nobody really knows what spin is, much beyond the fact that it is an

attribute of an elementary particle. Charge, mass, speed, energy, and angular momentum are among other attributes. You've probably noticed that some of these attributes are intrinsic to the particle and can't be changed (e.g., mass, charge), while others can be gained and lost (e.g., speed, angular momentum). Spin is actually

two attributes, one of which is intrinsic, the other of which can be

gained or lost.

More about this later.

Although we do not have a deep understanding of what spin is, we do have a mathematical description of how it behaves -- in particular, of how the total spin of a system of particles depends on the spins of the constituents. This allows us to compare spin's behavior to the behavior of other things that we feel we understand better. One thing

we have noticed is that spin behaves a lot like angular momentum (which also is really two attributes).

Angular momentum is a vector quantity (something that has both a magnitude and a direction, like velocity) that can take on only certain values in quantum mechanics. Think of angular momentum as an arrow of some length that can point in different directions, but you cannot ever have complete information about the direction. In particular, if you have measured the projection of the arrow along the z axis, you have

gained a clue about what the total angular momentum might be, but you have also destroyed any information you might have had about its projection along any other axis.

Another thing we know about angular momentum is that, in quantum

mechanics, it cannot take on just any old values, but only certain specific ones. If a particle has three units of total angular momentum, then its projection can be any of (-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3) and that is it: projections must differ by an integer number of units. Very weird, but quite

a handy fact: if you know that a particle's angular momentum can take on only two different projection values, then you know its total angular momentum must be 1/2, and the projection values are (-1/2, 1/2). If you know there are three projection values, then you know the

total angular momentum is 1, with projections (-1, 0, 1).

Spin acts like this, so everything you've just learned about angular

momentum is also true of spin. In fact the mathematical description of the way spin behaves is so similar to the math of angular momentum that we can even do a mathematical trick that allows us to

pretend that spin and angular momentum can be added together. However, the magnitude of the spin quantum number is an intrinsic attribute of a particle. All electrons have total spin 1/2, with two possible projection values, as we've seen. The projection can be changed, but the total spin of 1/2 is fixed for all time. It is part of the

definition of an electron. All photons have spin 0, and for them "projection" does not seem to make much sense, but it is

clear anyway that the number of possible projection states is one.

A curious and very mysterious thing is that the quantum mechanical rules for particles that have integer spin are very different from the rules for particles with half-integer spin.

All the half-integer particles (e.g., electron, proton, neutron) must be

distinguishable from each other: if they are in the same system, they must differ in at least one quantum number.

Not so for the integer-spin particles (e.g., photon, meson, gluon). These are allowed to be indistinguishable, and they can all have the same quantum numbers including position. It so happens that particles with half-integer spin are the particles we think of as making up matter,

and the particles with integer spin are those we associate with forces.

Why spin should be the thing that distinguishes stuff from the forces between stuff is unfathomable to me, and that spin

should do this in such an apparently arbitrary way (half-integer as

opposed to integer) suggests to me that our understanding is fundamentally flawed, and that the real answer to your question

-- if we ever discover it -- will be part of a deeper understanding of

/way/ more than spin.
That's what I thought.

Beth used to cut hair for 15 years, but now she slaves away in the medical production lines of Boston Scientific making heart catheters. I would love to be a novelist. So keep an eye out for me at Barnes and Noble one day. My natural talent is art, so obviously I neglect it hideously.

Mark's been a truck driver since about 2001, owner/operator of a 1985 Peterbilt. He's currently leased on with Zimmerman Brothers Inc. near Elk River, MN. He hauled the first load of risers into the new Twins Stadiium up in Minneapolis! Before that he was at Menards for 10 years, and then did the garbage man/mechanic thing for a number of years.

I have a shop in back in which I restore and modify cars of all types and models, but some how always ends up more mustangs than all others combined. Retired from construction in 06 to pursue a dream, I built my shop and now I walk 100 feet to "work" (if you can call it that) each day with a big smile on my face. The only draw back to this is the fact that I don't have enough time for my own toys.
That is a dream come true. My husband often talks about our boat guy, he retired from trucking and works entirely on boats out of his garage now.

Back