Odd Rocker Arm

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande, 351C
Just took off the valve cover to my 351C 2V and noticed one oddball rocker arm (has a little tab over the push rod hole). I searched around the internet for one that looks like this. Found one that shows it's a Comp Cams High Energy rocker arm. Engine was running OK with it but wonder if it best to swap out. The PO had this engine built at a speed shop. Your thoughts?
Odd Rocker Arm.jpg

This may be a false recollection but, I think the fulcrums on the 351C 2V, and 351M were a different material than the 351C 4V, Boss 351, and Boss 302. I want to say the 2V fulcrums were weaker. Chuck

C9ZX is correct. I'm not entirely versed in which engine received the lesser material rocker fulcrums, and which received the better fulcrums. I'd guess the lower performance 351c's got the weaker ones, and the higher performance engines got the stronger ones. Of course, those Boss and adjustable valvetrain engines got different fulcrums altogether. I remember seeing that when I was building engines at Valley Head Service. While nobody really talks about it, the Oldsmobile engines had "paired" rocker pivots which were an aluminum alloy piece. TRW, (now long gone) made Olds's rocker pivots that were made of sintered iron with oil grooves and were the pieces to use when using higher rate springs with factory-ish valvetrain. The 351c fulcrums of stronger material followed that same thinking. I don't know if I have a magazine article, or catalog that calls out the Ford fulcrum differences. Also, Ford had a needle bearing rocker pivot kit for "Off Highway Use" back when. I'll look around in some books to see if I can validate the fulcrum material deal.

This may be a false recollection but, I think the fulcrums on the 351C 2V, and 351M were a different material than the 351C 4V, Boss 351, and Boss 302. I want to say the 2V fulcrums were weaker. Chuck
all boss 302 and 351 boss rockers are steel fulcrums, but they are also for studs, some 460s were alum some 351c 351ms, and 400 as well, but they use a 5/16s bolt, they are not really weaker, we have ran them well over 6500to 7200 rpm in some engines. never had one fail . Yes some are steel with the 5/16 bolt

Latest posts

Back