Odor in my garage...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked out all those things and guess what! There was a small leak at the bottom of the carb that was the culprit! Went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and had the carb rebuilt and presto! No more smell! I'll have some more pics of the interior to post soon! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
:idea:

look into all directions, possibly a combination of smaller problems, from carburetion......I recently noticed that my 73 is emitting an exhaust-like smell long after the engine is shut down. I tried airing out the garage with a fan, but it's just as bad the next day after I close the garage for the night. No noticeable leaks under the car. Anyone have issues like this with your engine or exhaust systems? :huh:
I had odor however found leaks minute but still from transmission, gas tank, and oil pan(leak). It had been with my car since I purchased it, oil pan leak might have been from pushing the car on a 1/4 mile run 57mph in 1st gear @ 7,200 rpm's. Engine is set up with hot peened solid lifters @ 9.5 compression although oilers were opened up in rebuild, ports bored out but the MSD rev limiter should have shut the engine down @ 6,500 rpm's. (for problem out of engine), pin hole in gas tank is enough to create fumes however not really noticeable by the layman. Looking at the drippings was more apparent from the transmission, harder to determine by looking at the puddle on the floor if it is only run as mine a total of 2,200 miles within period of 2003, then engine rebuild and w/in 500 miles the break in oil was changed(in 2010). It's all a combination of things to look at. Although might cost a pretty penny w/assessments from different mechanics that can look into it and pin point problems a lot quicker, even if you had your own lift.
:huh:

I think it may be "normal"... we have just become used to the cleaner burning modern cars we drive daily.
This is what I was gonna say. My Mustang stinks up the house when I park it in the garage, especially after I drove it hard.

It´s like a mix of burnt grease, fumes, hot brake pads and hot metal parts.

I like to call it the smell of machinery or old mechanics.

It is a smell that resembles that of old steam locomotives, if you ever have the chance to get near one.

Anyway, even with the garage door to the house shut, the smell still lingers in the house for a few hours.

Our new cars don't do that. (Unless you leave the parking brake on, but they have a warning light and buzzer for that too nowadays.)

Put in a garage exhaust fan and it won't stink up the house. The fan creates negative

pressure and pulls air from any air leak in the garage (including the big leak you have between the house and the garage).

Also if the smell is that bad, I would look into fixing your PCV system (or adding one).

If your breather is clogged, the PCV won't function.

I think it may be "normal"... we have just become used to the cleaner burning modern cars we drive daily.
It's called carburation. :p

Very true. I can pull a classic into my shop on Saturday and come back on Monday and it still smells. When I come home after working on one my wife always wrinkles her nose and says "EEW! old car" and throws my shirt out on the porch.

Well, my wife was going to throw me AND the 'stang out until I fixed that carb and fuel pump - now she can't smell a thing. I was surprised at how small a leak could cause that much odor...

This is what I was gonna say. My Mustang stinks up the house when I park it in the garage, especially after I drove it hard.

It´s like a mix of burnt grease, fumes, hot brake pads and hot metal parts.

I like to call it the smell of machinery or old mechanics.

It is a smell that resembles that of old steam locomotives, if you ever have the chance to get near one.

Anyway, even with the garage door to the house shut, the smell still lingers in the house for a few hours.

Our new cars don't do that. (Unless you leave the parking brake on, but they have a warning light and buzzer for that too nowadays.)
I love the smell of Mustangs in the morning! Smells like....VICTORY!

It's called carburation. :p

Very true. I can pull a classic into my shop on Saturday and come back on Monday and it still smells. When I come home after working on one my wife always wrinkles her nose and says "EEW! old car" and throws my shirt out on the porch.
It's called carburator leaking!

(or a gas hose leak and/or PCV not working). Mine only smells a little until it cools, run the garage fan about an hour or so to clear it out. No smell at all after that.

You can have a tiny carb gasket leak and you won't even see it,,,but you'll smell it!

One thing great about the newer Edelbrock carbs, they are much less prone to leak due to design.

Back