Oil pan-oil pick up clearance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omie01

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I have a book that says the oil pickup has to be 1/4" to 3/8" from the bottom of the oil pan. My current engine build I have a Milodon oil pick-up that is JUST a 1/4" from the bottom of the pan. Does this sound OK? I am running a standard volume pump, and a 7 quart oil pan. Thanks gents!!

Well thankfully I looked in there with a small camera tool, I forgot the end rubber gaskets add a little room, I think I am running closer to 5/16" now!!

I have a container of silly putty for occasions like this.

Let you inner child out and make a couple of silly putty 'towers' on the bottom of the pickup and install the pan. The towers will squash down and after you remove the pan you can easily get an exact measurement of your clearance.

I found with this method on my 460 that the Canton pickup was at an angle, which explained why on hard right hand corners the oil pressure would drop to 0!!!

I have a container of silly putty for occasions like this.

Let you inner child out and make a couple of silly putty 'towers' on the bottom of the pickup and install the pan. The towers will squash down and after you remove the pan you can easily get an exact measurement of your clearance.

I found with this method on my 460 that the Canton pickup was at an angle, which explained why on hard right hand corners the oil pressure would drop to 0!!!
THAT'S a cool idea ::thumb::

Thank you!

I will do that too on my next engine overhauling... :D

I did the modeling clay thing, Thats where I got the 1/4" from, but I did not put the end rubber gaskets in, only the rail gaskets. The rubber gaskets actually raise the center of the pan a little more.! Thanks!!

Back