Oil Pressure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GravY

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Vert - 351c
I've been trying to pin-point and answer to this and end up seeing so many different numbers it makes me dizzy lol..

My car (73 Vert) runs about 45-50psi @ Idle (in gear) and around 75psi @70mph and pretty much holds there at higher speeds..

Is this in the safe zone or on the High side?

It's on the high side. But also not that uncommon for something that has had a performance build at some point. If it was me I'd probably be running lighter oil in it.

on the topic of oil I see a ton of different info on that also.. what oil are you using.. I've seen many mentions for Mobile 1 15w-50.

thicker oil means higher oil PSI. switch to 10w or 5w and it should lower the oil gauge psi reading.

i use 10W-30

Well never thought high oil pressure was bad ( I know it can if extreme) lol. It really depends where you live as well. Generally a 10w30 would be ideal for majority of our cars. Unless your planning on being a trans am race car.

High pressure can break parts, force oil past seals and wastes power. Otherwise its better than low oil pressure. Modern 5 or 10 w 30 would be fine in most of our cars.

His pressure never exceeds 75PSI on the high side That is not excessive. On the idle side it is higher than normal, but again 45-50 PSI and assume a fairly wide margin of error, he might have 30 PSI at idle which no one would consider excessive in our cars.

Here is a hint-If you ever want higher oil pressure, (at the gauge only) move the sending unit to the galley plug located above the oil filter on a 351 C and you will increase your pressure readings greatly (but the real conditions are unaltered)

The Oil gauge is an Auto Meter Sport-Comp mechanical.

I changed the oil to Mobile 1 5w-30 and saw little change in the oil pressure.. Idle was a tad lower @ 40psi but it would still hold around 75psi out on the road..

lol ok the yellow cars speak.. I will not worry about it any longer :)

Thanks for the info everyone.

Back