Oil temperature gauge (location?)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Since I have the engine out and I saw the NPT threaded port above the oil filter, I figured that I may as well ad a oil temperature gauge. Some may argue that it is not needed, others may argue that it should read the temperature in the pan. I don't think that the location just past the oil filter is a bad choice because it is the actual oil temperature fed into the engine. And, why is it needed? maybe not, but for a little cost it doesn't hurt to know more about your engine operation, specially when it has been heavily modified. Beyond those discussions, I am looking for ideas on where to place the gauge, which is the 2" type. I am not looking into permanently mounting it. Options I am toying with are under the dash somehow clipped to the bottom edge, or to the side of the clock somehow affixed to the center console. Thoughts and ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
the place your talking about (pressure port) i don't believe it's deep enough to get a probe into. i really have no idea where to put the oil temp gage other then the pan.

the place your talking about (pressure port) i don't believe it's deep enough to get a probe into. i really have no idea where to put the oil temp gage other then the pan.
Actually. The port i refer to is fairly deep. Definitely deeper than the probe.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oil temp probes have traditionally gone into the pan. If you put the probe into the block, you're measuring the block temperature.
I agree that oil temp is typically measured at the pan. The probe location I am talking about is in the block exposed to the oil conduit between the oil filter and the front of the block. Therefore, it will be exposed to the hotter oil just coming off the pan and should measure that temperature. No much different than the water temp probe, which is in the block as well exposed to the hot water. I still think that there is value with this idea because it will give you a measure of oil temperature - maybe slightly delayed due to the probe not being exposed directly to the oil stream.

Beyond the probe location, I am looking for ideas on where to temporarily locate the 2" gauge.

Latest posts

Back