Oil Trans fluid clean up on concrete garage floor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Nice driver. Long term plan is to modernize to make a comfortable reliable daily driver.
My 73 leaked trans fluid from leaky seal around shift linkage (fixed now) and oil from leaking valve cover gasket (fixed now) on to my concrete garage floor. Is there any magic trick or chemical solution for removing the stains? I plan on putting down epoxy at some point, so I know I will need to chemically etch it with acid first. Ideas? Magic tricks?

CRC red label. Not green. But I am not sure about how it would affect epoxy adhesion. Wear gloves, nasty stuff.

I will try the brake cleaner as recommended above. Don't worry about the epoxy adhesion right now since I don't think you will make it worse. If it is greasy it will be bad for adhesion. The epoxy floor products some with their cleaners as well. Make sure the floor is completely dry before applying the epoxy. I did my own floor and it is very good after 10 years. The areas where it peeled off are those known to have humidity soaking from underneath.

I've had pretty good luck with this stuff pulling up some pretty deep set oil stains. Seems to actually draw it out to some degree. There are some DIY recipes around to make this stuff as I think it's basically a corn starch slurry or something like that. Similar products used to draw oil out of leather and other surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046O5YMA

I spray with purple power, scrub with a push broom and rinse.

Back