On to the next step of the drive train and I would like some guidence....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
I'm ready to start on the transmission, and like everything else on this car, I've decided to make major changes. The car was originally equipped with an FMX transmission, and I have converted it to a manual set up. I have a wide ratio toploader trans out of a 72 Q code convertible and everything to bolt it right up to my car. (Don't panic, the 72 was a rollover and was totaled). I have been planning on this change since I originally started the build, but as of recently though, I have made the corporate decision to convert it to a T-5 set up, as this will allow me to drive the car at freeway speeds at lower RPM's and possibly achieve better MPG. (Sounds good in theory, right?). I've seen the video on the conversion in to a 67 Mustang, and it's all straight forward except for where and how to install the clutch cable for our body styles (through the firewall). I can't find any instructions on line. I have power brakes, and the one on line didn't. Who has done this and what is involved? This is one of those big, expensive steps that I don't want to do until I have a complete understanding of it. Any advice will be appreciated. ::help::

American powertrain now has the hydraulic bolt on setup 71-73 specific
I had never heard of these guys, but their kits look good!

I have the clutch/brake pedal assembly out of a manual trans '71 Cougar, which I believe is identical to the '71-73 Mustang assembly. What's involved in converting one of these cars to manual from auto? I'm working on injection right now, but after I get it working my next upgrade would be to convert to manual.

I'm ready to start on the transmission, and like everything else on this car, I've decided to make major changes. The car was originally equipped with an FMX transmission, and I have converted it to a manual set up. I have a wide ratio toploader trans out of a 72 Q code convertible and everything to bolt it right up to my car. (Don't panic, the 72 was a rollover and was totaled). I have been planning on this change since I originally started the build, but as of recently though, I have made the corporate decision to convert it to a T-5 set up, as this will allow me to drive the car at freeway speeds at lower RPM's and possibly achieve better MPG. (Sounds good in theory, right?). I've seen the video on the conversion in to a 67 Mustang, and it's all straight forward except for where and how to install the clutch cable for our body styles (through the firewall). I can't find any instructions on line. I have power brakes, and the one on line didn't. Who has done this and what is involved? This is one of those big, expensive steps that I don't want to do until I have a complete understanding of it. Any advice will be appreciated. ::help::
I actually did this with my '68 coupe. I dropped the 302 and c4 and put in a 393w and a TKO-600. The kit I bought was a cable setup from Modern Driveline (ask for Bruce). I'm actually out of town right now but if you like, I'll take some pics for you and and then in a few days..

Mike

I actually did this with my '68 coupe. I dropped the 302 and c4 and put in a 393w and a TKO-600. The kit I bought was a cable setup from Modern Driveline (ask for Bruce). I'm actually out of town right now but if you like, I'll take some pics for you and and then in a few days..

Mike
Thanks Mike! Pictures would be great! This is all new territory to me, so any information would be a big help.

-Travis

Multiple people I know who did self installs had issues with hydraulic setups. I am no way implying it was the kit. But so far they seem to be easy to install or adjust wrong. Where as I know multiple people who have had real good luck with the cable setups. As long as you ensure the cable is clear of headers and such which will destroy it.

Multiple people I know who did self installs had issues with hydraulic setups. I am no way implying it was the kit. But so far they seem to be easy to install or adjust wrong. Where as I know multiple people who have had real good luck with the cable setups. As long as you ensure the cable is clear of headers and such which will destroy it.
Being a 5.0 driver as well, I'm a fan of the cable setup.

I will say however, clutch cables can snap and leave you in uncomfortable predicaments from time to time.

I have the American Powertrain setup in my car. Actually if you do a search here you will find my car was used to build the set up. As far as not feeling like a muscle car clutch, I guess that would depend on your complete set up. The designed my clutch (kevlar) and pressure plate. The system works great. Gray who is the owner is great to deal with. I cant answer as to a cable as I have never had one on this car. But I know this one works.

http://americanpowertrain.com/c-320523-hydraulic-clutch-systems-ford-complete-kit-1971-73-mustang.html

I really struggled with the manual vs. AOD conversion. I was all set to do the T5 and someone talked me out of it. I live a few miles from the beach and most of my driving is gonna be just cruising around town so I decided against the T5. That said, I found the guys over at Modern Drivelines had everything I needed to know. As my car will be the red version of yours maybe we can trade off when we want a change:D

i went from a c6 car to a tko600 build car (funny thing is, i might be going back to a c6). i did this swap in 2009 and i love the car ever since. banging gears is awesome. and hell, i race my car with this transmission.

let me tell you though, alot of us get told one thing or two from employees at MDL and bruce really is the most knowledgable person there by far. i first had my original clutch with them and adjusted it to one of their employees and it ended up toasting that clutch up some and it would slip on me at the track at times. i had a different clutch with them and it did the same thing. i had to play with the adjustments to the clutch alot and until i got it right, it was straight down annoying.

key here is though with the MDL cable is to get the perfect amount of fork travel. i have a stock pedal so there was more tuning to it than their aftermarket pedal that has more throw into it. originally i wasn't getting enough throw so i had to take out the bump stop on the pedal. then it was too much etc etc etc. however, most of us have reported here in the forum that when they push the clutch in that they can't put it into gear. so other members will suggest putting a little preload on it and then it works. but when you preload, you are taking clamp out of the clutch. i did this too and this is why i was having my clutch slip at times. however do know that i have more than 630hp and 650tq and 4.11 gears now.

i've adjusted this clutch with the cable set up everyway you could think of and it was annoying until i got it right. you could PM me and i'll give you my number so we can chat. i can guide you all the way thru so you do it right the first time. some people here have their street driven clutch the way i did before and they will have premature clutch wear that way.

I just got back in town. I'll take some pics and sent them tomorrow..

I just got back in town. I'll take some pics and sent them tomorrow..
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

I'm really torn between running a manual or a 4R70W. I hear those autos are strong and with fully programmable shift points can be a hoot drive.

Programmable shift points are awesome. SCT PRP that I tune my HD F150 with allows awesome control of the 4r100 in it. Its amazing how much you can gain by tuning the transmission these days.

Programmable shift points are awesome. SCT PRP that I tune my HD F150 with allows awesome control of the 4r100 in it. Its amazing how much you can gain by tuning the transmission these days.
Yeah, I mean I love the C6 in my '71 as it is. It's a B&M Street/Strip C6 with some nice mods done to it so it's a lot of fun to drive aggressively. It lacks the overdrive, however... it would really make the car a lot more useful with one.

Swapping to a T-5 was the BEST modification on the car to date. Ya gotta love 3 pedals. I fabbed my own linkage and mounting brackets for a mechanical set-up. I've made a couple of minor changes since it was finished but have been more than happy with the way it turned out. With a 2.75 rear gear and 27" tall tires it SMOKES down the highway. Actually a 3.25 ratio would be much better. :D

Back