On to the next step of the drive train and I would like some guidence....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swapping to a T-5 was the BEST modification on the car to date. Ya gotta love 3 pedals. I fabbed my own linkage and mounting brackets for a mechanical set-up. I've made a couple of minor changes since it was finished but have been more than happy with the way it turned out. With a 2.75 rear gear and 27" tall tires it SMOKES down the highway. Actually a 3.25 ratio would be much better. :D
I'm getting excited to make the change. I have 3.50 ratio gears, 25.5" tall tires. At 75 mph, I'll be turning 2500 RPMs. Much better than the 3700 I would have been at with the toploader.

Swapping to a T-5 was the BEST modification on the car to date. Ya gotta love 3 pedals. I fabbed my own linkage and mounting brackets for a mechanical set-up. I've made a couple of minor changes since it was finished but have been more than happy with the way it turned out. With a 2.75 rear gear and 27" tall tires it SMOKES down the highway. Actually a 3.25 ratio would be much better. :D
I'm getting excited to make the change. I have 3.50 ratio gears, 25.5" tall tires. At 75 mph, I'll be turning 2500 RPMs. Much better than the 3700 I would have been at with the toploader.
here is a good calculator

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

Tire chart

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

T-5s are weak, I've blown up 3 of them in my Fox 5.0s. I'm running a Tremec 3550 with upgrades and that seems to handle the duty of being behind a 730 hp supercharged monster much better. While I do enjoy the smoothness of a T-5, it's not suitable for an engine making more than 300 hp. I think you can rebuild them for additional strength, but I don't believe they'll ever take more than about 350 ft-lbs of continuous torque. Simply not enough for me.

For a '71 Mustang, I would look at the newer TKO-600s, as it's about the same size as a C6 and is a 6-speed manual with over 500 ft-lbs torque capacity in stock form.

Back