Our first cars....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first car was a 1974 Porsche 914. Bought it for $2,400, and had it for about 3 months before it blew the oil return line.

The shop said they needed to take the engine out to fix it, and needed to take a torche to one of the bolts. Engine caught fire, and damn near burnt down the shop.

Their insurance paid for it.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like:

914-2.jpg

Technically my first car would be a '69 Charger that I partially earned by hand cutting all of the brush in my family salvage yard. The Charger would have been about 21 years old then.I would go on to pull the heads for a valve job and patch some rust. My father painted it for me and about that time a wrecked '72 Mustang arrived. I sold the Charger without ever putting it on the road and bought the Mustang. All by the time I was 16. It took a little more effort to bring the Mustang back to life, the passenger side had been slammed.

tJJCEjOngcgSZFMCX41xDNc_zho3P0zYcaziNjo8mNU=w190-h186-p-no
z5aU4JJxhz-1OgzdsvfYeeKS97LBEi4DE6SgWuBOjyQ=w344-h223-p-no

Technically my first car would be a '69 Charger that I partially earned by hand cutting all of the brush in my family salvage yard. The Charger would have been about 21 years old then.I would go on to pull the heads for a valve job and patch some rust. My father painted it for me and about that time a wrecked '72 Mustang arrived. I sold the Charger without ever putting it on the road and bought the Mustang. All by the time I was 16. It took a little more effort to bring the Mustang back to life, the passenger side had been slammed.

tJJCEjOngcgSZFMCX41xDNc_zho3P0zYcaziNjo8mNU=w190-h186-p-no
z5aU4JJxhz-1OgzdsvfYeeKS97LBEi4DE6SgWuBOjyQ=w344-h223-p-no
sling-blade.jpg

you sold a Charger to fix up a Mustang? "You ort not talk like dat...you just a boy" :D

My brilliant moment was taking apart a 60 Impala. The original owner ordered it from the factory with bucket seats, console, 4 spd, 348 with 3 duces. Me and my bright mind took the stuff out to put in a 56 I was building. Course the 56 was awesome....but who knows what i destroyed doing so.:s

My first "registered" car was a 74 HJ Holden Kingswood when I was 17. I'd already bought a 308 stroker off a mate who'd written off his HX and I just needed a car to put it in. The car had a worn out stock 253 V8 and trimatic that was flat out doing a 100 M/hr, so we drove it around for 2 weeks to all the old hangouts and raced anyone and everyone, we'd get absolutely belted by everything and me and my best mate (still till this day) would be pissing ourselves laughing about it. Everyone would look at us and thought we were mad, bringing this slow POS, smoke pouring out the pipes, getting beaten and then laughing about it. After a couple of weeks of doing that it was time to put in everything out of my mates car and into mine, except he kept his 9 inch and I just used the 10 bolt Salisbury that it had in it. I hit my boss up to use the shop and we spent the weekend transferring everything over. After a couple of weeks of transferring everything over and sorting out little niggles, it was time to go back to these hangouts and find our "prey" and let's just say, they found out what why we were laughing so much before. That car was probably the best car I've owned. That car was just flogged and driven hard just about everyday and nothing major really went wrong with it, it was an awsome racer that was just about unbeatable back then, as well as being our family car as it was the only one we had back then. The car was smashed twice (only 2 accidents I've had) the first time a guy in a Nissan pulled out straight in front of me and I T-boned him, so after the insurance company was going to write it off, I withdrew the claim and rebuilt the car. The second time was not long after I'd rebuilt the engine and transmission and the weekend previous, the car had run 11.78@123. Coming home from a mates place in the pouring rain, the car suddenly went right for no reason, except for the road was like a river. After the car went into the gutter on the other side of the road, I tried to reverse back, but the car just wanted to keep spinning the wheels, next thing I knew a courier van was flying over the hill and smashed in the front of the car. He was going that fast, that he managed to hit the brakes, skidded, took out the front of my car and still skidded for another 100+ feet min. all in a 60km/hr zone. Now here's the best part, the van was on its way to the hospital as it was carrying body parts. The damage this time to the car was too great to repair and that engine had claimed another car, I say that because that engine just came from wreck to wreck to claim another and another and so on. I've had a lot of cars since then (Oct 92) and some that have been quicker, but it's the only car I've really missed and wish I could have back (that can't happen though, car was stripped out and the rest went to scrap) maybe because it was the car I had with my girlfriend (now wife) we got married, had our son and bought him home in it and just lots of good times with mates, racing and family.

My first car was a 1972 Hillman Avenger, known in the States as a Chrysler Cricket. It had 34K on the clock and was in mint condition. Not that that meant the car was good, it handled like a wheel barrow and had a top speed of 65mph. Anything over and the car shook. I put go faster stripes down the side and spots on the front, which made it look slightly better. Also put period alloys on it to help with the handling but it still handled like it was off rails. In all it was a heap of dump.

1979... my first car was a 1971 green Mustang coupe with a 302ci engine. Came with the 'special" package!

600 additional lbs. of bondo on the driver side rear 1/4 panel :-/ Looking at the picture today, guess the rear bumper was a clue... My Dad bought the car (with my $$) from a "friend" at work, yea right... (In fairness, my dad was trying to help me get my 1st car and trusted his friend at work as to the condition of the car).

Anyway, I drove the car for a year, enjoyed it and then the engine went so I moved on to my first '71 Mach 1. The rest is history. Have stayed loyal to this style for 36 years...

18 My First Mustang....jpg

Last edited:
wow.... my first car was in 1986, a new Fiat Uno. This was the last "new" car I ever had. I need to dig out some pictures. It had a "huge" 4-cylinder 1.3L engine...LOL... I modified it within a year. Added a bigger carb and intake from a Fiat 151 (1.6L) and headers. That little car was very fast for that little engine. After a few years I got tired and sold it, and then bought a 1979 Toyota FJ40. This one broke all the time but I learned to repair many parts over the years I owned it. After that it was a 1987 Toyota FJ70. The first picture is the FJ40 after I had it paint red. The second picture is the FJ70. I four-wheeled a lot with them.

toyo_medano.jpg

toyo_apure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My first car was my 1971 Mustang Grande that I still own today and am in the middle of resurrecting. It was given to me by my stepdad as a peace offering (he was kind of a dick back then). It was viper blue with the original vinyl top and deluxe interior, the prior owner must have been from the hood because the car had purple tint on the windows and when you looked in the rear view mirror you could see the remains of "lil joe's blue ride" sun faded into the rear tint. The interior had blinking lights that always drained the battery so my stepdad decided to cut them out and severed the ignition power line and had no clue how to fix it. This is how I learned to read a schematic and proceeded to fix it myself. It was an ugly fix, but it worked! The car had been wrecked by my stepdad and was missing the majority of the passenger side quarter panel, which meant I couldn't have anything in the trunk because it would fall out if I turned a corner! It had a ton of work to do to it, the engine ran like shit due to improper maintenance and it broke down on me almost every single day. After I joined the military I decided to fix it up, then I got stationed in Japan and it went into storage where it deteriorated (there went $8k)! I bought an 06 GT and the 71 sat in my dad's driveway and just began to further become a mess from neglect. Finally got it back in my possession in 2011 and got it running really well, well enough to where it was my daily driver again for almost two full years. For the last year and a half I have been tearing it apart and fixing all of the little things that needed reworked and now it is almost done (minus paint and body work and new interior).

The picture you see in my signature is what it looked like in 2003 before going to japan for three years and it sitting in storage then in my dad's driveway until 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back