Overhaulin (and the like)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped watching Overhaulin when Courtney was replaced by AJ...LOL

Sorry guys if Chip Foose wanted to re-do my car I'd be ALL IN. I'd love to help.

BTW I visited Foose's shop when I was in LA 1-1/2 years ago. It's a nondescript place in an industrial park. I did meet the blonde girl that worked on the interiors, she dropped in for a visit when I was there.

I think my problem has to do with someone else making the choices for me that affect the overall end result. For instance, I was not a big fan of that '67 Mustang they put together for the guy in the wheel chair. The car was awesome the way it was... then it got 'Foose-ified.' Sure, they did good stuff and did great work, and he seemed thrilled - but I'm wouldn't have been happy with the end result if it were my car. Must be a California thing...

Not to mention that the car would be undriveable in San Angelo, where every other intersection is either a speed bump (in its own right), or part of the drainage system. For that reason, I'm glad Overhaulin' is a California thing (Mr. Foose will most likely never venture to West Texas... let alone be able to get on-base and get at my car :D ).

I think my problem has to do with someone else making the choices for me that affect the overall end result.
For me that´s the point.

I like most of the cars Foose designs, simply because he can imagine what that car would look like were it built today. He can convert those old cars into modern ones while still respecting their lines and personalities.

Hats off to this guy´s talent, but, and here´s the point, I´d like to know where this is going, what will be altered, what will come off and what will stay on.

I would be open to any suggestions as to why something I´d like to stay on the car should come off in his opinion and I might even give my ok, but I´d not like to be presented with an accomplished fact.

"Here´s your car and you better like, because that´s the way it is now!"

On the other hand: Never look a gift horse in the mouth. If you really don´t like it, then sell it with big profit and then build the car you like. That´s always an option.

Yesterday Overhaulin got on air on the Discovery channel in south america again :p!!

Is it trully different to look at that show with more years of experience... Yesterday was the 1956 corvette from a blonde lady... I ended up hating foose big wheels and the two tone paint job:p

Still my respects for Foose and i know for a fact that his crew is top of the line so.. show or not, the overhaulin idea was a good first step to the classic car world being what it is today... 10/15 years ago, our cars, along with almost all old rides were just that, old, fuel swalower and even "funny" cars...

_In my opinion, thanks to overhaulin and yet earlier the film "gone in 60 seconds" this industry of classic car restoration got on fashion again...

Hi,

This is a discussion I had with some pals a while ago.

Until recently a European TV station aired "Overhaulin". I know the show is already yesterdays news in the US (and meanwhile here too), but anyway.

Suppose the show is not fake and they really redo a car within a week. If you have a team of let´s say 30 people work on the car continously in 3 shifts over 24 hours, you can get a lot of hours worked on it.

But here´s my thought. How can you weld, primer and paint a car within let´s say 48 hours without letting it cure in between?

If the show was not fake and they really did this, these cars must look awful by now, as the finish will have settled and caused creases.

Or am I completely mistaken?
Remember, the show is filmed in Los Angeles....the Green Nazi revolution took place there 20 years ago. NOBODY sprays paints or uses fillers that emit VOC's...that's volatile organic compounds for those of you that still live in realk places.

Paints like PPG water base and Auto Air are the only ones that can be used so cure times in a heated downdraft booth are ....15 minutes between coats for a complete cure!

As for the filler, you might look closely...Foose uses Evercoat Rage Gold almost exclusively because it is a two part epoxy based filler with a really short (ask me how I know ) set up time. So, the show timeline is realistic given the materials used but I sure would hate to pay the labor costs for that "A" team. Gotta be 30K in labor in each car!

Jessi Combs is on the new version of Overhaulin

For that reason, I'm glad Overhaulin' is a California thing (Mr. Foose will most likely never venture to West Texas... let alone be able to get on-base and get at my car :D ).

I wouldn't stop him if he was after your car lol
Thanks... I'll sleep better at night knowing that now (since you're on the gate, and all). :s :D

Seriously though - I have mixed feelings. On one hand, it would be nice to have all the bad stuff taken care of (even though I think I'm pretty much past all that). But on the other hand, I still am not a huge fan.

I'd still wind up selling some 'Chip Foose Special' stuff that I wouldn't care for after replacing it for stuff I actually DO like (still not a fan of 'slammed with dubs' that seems to be the basis for all his designs).

I agree. While it may look good a calendar it just screams "steal me".

But I will say I would take a foose creation over a pimp my ride creation. :dodgy:

"Pimp My Ride" was just plain stupid. I don´t think anybody older than 14 could ever like one of their cars!

I like Overhallin...Chip seems to have alot of talent...And i know a few painters who dont got much bad to say about him or what he does....And if your pretty stuck on your car being stock.He would make it how to liked if it was on his show...A few he made look pretty much factory ...But once its been on his show ..The car is most likely worth a bit more than stock anyways..i like watching him air brush out the cars too..And show his ideas...And get that picture along with your car..Just cool how he does it..Some lucky people for the most part.

I liked the John Force school bus..wow....But i tell you what...If he come by and grabbed my old 63 gmc ...I would love it... Truck in great shape is hardly worth 3,000....i would tell him..Go nuts on it chip!! Anything you want!! cause after he was done it woud be worth more than it will ever be factory...lol...... but if it come to my old 1973 mach 1 q code...Nope factory please!! No if's or but's about it! she already one of a kind ;) lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Jessi Combs is on the new version of Overhaulin
I like Jessi, she actually works on cars and is great welder to boot. Ever since the "old" xtreme 4x4 show I've been a fan of hers.

As for overhaulin I wouldn't mind it if I was included in the build and got to work on my own car.

"it's not really yours unless you build it yourself" Just my opinion though.

I seen the 64 Malibu they did for some girl a few years back and it was flawless. My brother ( a pro bodyman ) and I walked around the car and was very impressed with the fit and finish. Mind you the car was C.A. car and was in good shape to start with.

Back