Paint for factory looking leaf springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Costa Q Code

Reaction score
My Car
3rd Owner 1972 Mach 1 Q Code
Hi all, this is my first question here, anybody have any suggestions what paint can replicate factory new leaf springs color ?
I wire brushed and used master coat rust dissolver on mine but getting all the rust off is difficult and time consuming, wish I had a compressor and sand blaster, I was going to VHT clear coat engine paint them but there is still discoloration, so I was thinking about VHT Nu-Cast™ IronSP997 any other ideas ?
https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-enamelthanks in advance

That color would look good to me, but I am no expert on what are correct colors on Mustangs. I personally always use the Dupli-Color Ceramic Engine paint, and have had good luck with it. I keep just about every color in my paint cabinet for different things. I have used the cast iron color on my leaf springs on a few cars, I am not sure how correct that is but I think it looks good,

Last edited:
The Nu-Cast turned out pretty nice, it is a little darker than I would have liked, compared to pictures I have seen online of really well restored cars which is a little lighter, I was hoping to get them really clean then clear coat them but the only way that would have worked would be to remove the leaf springs, sand blast them, then put them back in which I didn't want to do, maybe sometime later when I have more time

Back