Paint guys, HELP!! SEM Hot Rod Black problems!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd chirp in on this very interesting post.

I too used Hot Rod Black for my car and I'd just like to say I think the sheen of that product looks as close to factory as you'll get without getting the original PPG black 9381 and I'm not sure that can be obtained anymore.

On my car, which is Light Pewter (not silver!!), painted in 2013, the black seems to be standing up very well. Of course you can't get any wax on it, but other than that, it's all good.

If you were not aware, there is also a Hot Rod Clear that is made especially to go over Hot Rod Black. I didn't use it, but it might have added that extra protection. The only downside, my painter thought that the build-up would be a bit too much on the hood black-out edges.

Your car looks really good and I'm happy for you that the paint issues are behind you. You had some excellent help from Greg and very good info I'll keep for my own future reference.

Geoff.

I too used Hot Rod Black for my car and I'd just like to say I think the sheen of that product looks as close to factory as you'll get without getting the original PPG black 9381 and I'm not sure that can be obtained anymore.

On my car, which is Light Pewter (not silver!!), painted in 2013, the black seems to be standing up very well. Of course you can't get any wax on it, but other than that, it's all good.

If you were not aware, there is also a Hot Rod Clear that is made especially to go over Hot Rod Black. I didn't use it, but it might have added that extra protection. The only downside, my painter thought that the build-up would be a bit too much on the hood black-out edges.

Your car looks really good and I'm happy for you that the paint issues are behind you. You had some excellent help from Greg and very good info I'll keep for my own future reference.

Geoff.
Geoff,

Im really happy with the sheen of the hot rod black on the yellow car. Seems to be a good product and came highly recommended on the net. Some guys did say that the clear would add more shine even if you bought clear that was satin or flat. The Yellow car isn't getting the hood blackout as it didn't come from the factory like that and the customer wants to keep with the factory look, no stripes either. There is a pretty good buildup on the edges of the black even with 2 coats. But its not too bad.

My car is also Light Pewter, silver was just easier to type! lollerz 

On my car I painted the blackout in gloss and cleared over everything. Just easier to maintain. When I decide to tear my car down again I will probably go with the hot rod black on mine also.

Geoff.
Geoff,

Im really happy with the sheen of the hot rod black on the yellow car. Seems to be a good product and came highly recommended on the net. Some guys did say that the clear would add more shine even if you bought clear that was satin or flat. The Yellow car isn't getting the hood blackout as it didn't come from the factory like that and the customer wants to keep with the factory look, no stripes either. There is a pretty good buildup on the edges of the black even with 2 coats. But its not too bad.

My car is also Light Pewter, silver was just easier to type! lollerz 

On my car I painted the blackout in gloss and cleared over everything. Just easier to maintain. When I decide to tear my car down again I will probably go with the hot rod black on mine also.
Kevin, Light pewter / silver........ too funny, but I get your point. ::thumb::

As for the clear adding shine to the Hot Rod Black, I can't comment as I didn't use it, but it is supposed to be matte for use on HR black. Another type or brand I can see an issue.

My car didn't have the hood black-out either or side stripes, but they were on the car when I bought it and as I like that look, I decided to go with them. Not too hard to change if need be and also the reason I kept the chrome strip as well. Nobody other than a mustang nut knows the difference anyway!

You're doing a great job on the yellow car by the look of the pictures, well done.

Geoff.

Thanks guys,

Sounds like you had a win there K.

BTW - The respray looks pretty sharp going by the pics.. Good work man! ::thumb:: 

Greg. :)
Thanks Greg!!! That single stage sprays SUPER nice!! Lays down awesome. Wish my clear would lay as nice!! lollerz

Back