Paint shop Prison

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to deal with a shop (before they decided to just do insurance work) that would charge me 2/3 of the bid if I let them use the car as fill in work. It would take 6 months to a year to get it back, but they did great work, and I saved some money. The wait was tough, but worth it in the end.

That's awesome that they have started to make progress!
Unfortunately, I have found that seems to be the standard with body shops, they often take in these completes and use them as fillers between the production work that actually pays the bills for most of them. That's great that rvrtrash's shop took the owner's time into consideration and gave them some incentive for it. I have been told by some friends that their shop told them up front that they priced it as a filler car and if they wanted it quicker it would cost more. Ryunker, I hope it gets painted soon for you guys, if they get it done by early spring, hopefully that will give you enough time to assemble, and get her on the road next summer.

Perhaps they put it up on jack stands so you just couldn't go and drag it out of there, which I think I would have done a long time ago. I understand shops are busy and often more pressing work needs to be done first, but they should not have taken on the job if they knew it was not going to get done in a timely manner. Just my 2 cents worth.

That's awesome that they have started to make progress!
Unfortunately, I have found that seems to be the standard with body shops, they often take in these completes and use them as fillers between the production work that actually pays the bills for most of them. That's great that rvrtrash's shop took the owner's time into consideration and gave them some incentive for it. I have been told by some friends that their shop told them up front that they priced it as a filler car and if they wanted it quicker it would cost more. Ryunker, I hope it gets painted soon for you guys, if they get it done by early spring, hopefully that will give you enough time to assemble, and get her on the road next summer.
I insisted it be done this fall, so time will tell. At this point keeping it there for winter frees up a tad of garage room for the winter. Retirement is scheduled for the 27th of December this year. Time to assemble it will be my new employment (aside from driving my wife insane).

Hmmm, Homer Glen? Very close to my old stomping grounds of New Lenox and Mokena.

I insisted it be done this fall, so time will tell. At this point keeping it there for winter frees up a tad of garage room for the winter. Retirement is scheduled for the 27th of December this year. Time to assemble it will be my new employment (aside from driving my wife insane).

Hmmm, Homer Glen? Very close to my old stomping grounds of New Lenox and Mokena.
Congrats on your retirement! The reassembly will be a great transaction activity, along with driving your wife insane. Yes, I am right down the street from Mokena and New Lenox, small world, haha.

A group of friends just broke a 68 Camaro out of PSP this past Friday. Shop had the car for eight years. They had gotten it painted and mostly assembled, but thats where it stopped. Didn't do any of the other work they were contracted and paid to do. I swear it's the chemicals.

I read posts like this and it makes me sad, but question what I should do with my life. I almost feel like I should start my own resto-refinish shop. The problem here is peoples expectations vary widely for quality and detail, and that would be hard to gauge in order to deliver to expectations. But a thorough paint job on a classic shouldn’t take more than a 3 months to do even with some parts issues.

I’m with you! Been in PSP since May ‘23. It’s just a slow process and also, I have a family so I haven’t been able to pay all upfront. Just waiting for engine work and reassembly. I’m very happy with the work and progress overall. It will be worth it in the end but it’s hard living without my baby. Here is a sneak preview.

Attachments

• 223.jpeg
    223.jpeg
    282.1 KB
I haven't painted a car before but I really get it off on the paint fumes. And I need some experience and practice.:unsure:
Send it down to Aus and I'll have a go at it for you.
OK Vern, you've never painted a car and want some practice. I'm sending my Mustang down to Australia so you can have at it....:) I'd like it painted Grabber Blue please!

Attachments

• 81-K7Q96jNL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg
    81-K7Q96jNL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg
    172.3 KB
Back