Painted Steel Slots

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Saw these on Craigslist for $400 and am considering grabbing them. Set is 15x8 and 15x4 with 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Always been a fan of slots and these look like they might match the silver on my car. Anybody had a set of the steel slots. Any opinions. Looked for pics on cars but didn't come up with much.

Thinking these with a 275/60 and not to sure about the front. But a classic big and little thing.

00303_9Jgq7bJjEX5_600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those wheels would look real nice on a 71-73 stang, I like old school period correct style mustangs though. Try to negotiate on the price a bit.

While I prefer the chunkier look of aluminum slots, those appear to be a nice deal and should look awesome on your car! ::thumb::

Good luck and post pics!

They are a time tested wheel that looks good on our cars. Right now I have 14" Magnums on the car and the tire selection sucks. I was looking for a set of aluminum 15x8 to match the pair of 15x6 aluminum slots I have in the garage now when I came across that set. The BFG selection in 15's is good enough for me. I would rather have a set of the 17" ansen slots that were made for a bit. But they are impossible to find these days. So I am fine with 15's. Cheap bastard anyway and hate spending alot of money on rims. Most of the larger rims cost a good chunk.

Definitely gonna look into getting them for less than $400 though. Since the other phot that accompanies the add shows they were rusted pretty good. Because only the fronts were blasted painted and cleared.

They are a time tested wheel that looks good on our cars. Right now I have 14" Magnums on the car and the tire selection sucks. I was looking for a set of aluminum 15x8 to match the pair of 15x6 aluminum slots I have in the garage now when I came across that set. The BFG selection in 15's is good enough for me. I would rather have a set of the 17" ansen slots that were made for a bit. But they are impossible to find these days. So I am fine with 15's. Cheap bastard anyway and hate spending alot of money on rims. Most of the larger rims cost a good chunk.

Definitely gonna look into getting them for less than $400 though. Since the other phot that accompanies the add shows they were rusted pretty good. Because only the fronts were blasted painted and cleared.
I agree with what you were saying about tire selection on the 14" Magnums, I decided to go with 17" American racing Torque Thrusts. I find that I am starting to like the slotted wheels but I went for the other classic look.

PB010020.JPG

I actually have 18" Bullets on my HD right now. One of the reasons that I haven't jumped for a set of the torque thrust wheels. But they have way to much offset to fit the stang without a good size spacer. That and the tires are huge 295/45.

528919_3865565671221_1759880029_n.jpg

A 165/80R15 25.4" vs 215/70R14 25.9" so it is a smidge smaller than the front tires on it now. Probably the closest I can get in a DOT compliant tire.

Might look funny as it set now but I plan to lower the front about an 1" or so in the future. So wheel gap shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a set on my high school '71 Datsun 240Z back in '82. They were chrome, and were already getting rusty but looked great with stock blackwall tires.

Haven't seen a painted set before (not that they didn't exist), and I'd guess that the paint may be hiding some sin. Paint won't stick to chrome well.

Even if they are straight, price is pretty stiff either way IMO.

Definately agree with the others with the narrow wheels/tires on the front, my foxbody mustang has weld big and littles on it and any decent turn above 30 mph gets a little sketchy. The car has a loose not much tire on the pavement feeling, also braking is reduced. I still think those wheels look cool.

I actually have 18" Bullets on my HD right now. One of the reasons that I haven't jumped for a set of the torque thrust wheels. But they have way to much offset to fit the stang without a good size spacer. That and the tires are huge 295/45.
Those are exactly the same ones I have on the Mustang, only mine have black centers.

I got a set that had the correct backspacing for our cars.

Thanks for the knowledge I hadn't considered the sidewall issues with turning. But makes since. So I guess those are out so I will continue looking for a pair of 15x8 for the rears to go with the 2 I already have.

If I remember, you can get a set of 17X8 from American Racing..

Back