PCV Hose Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
H Code 351C
So I installed new Intake Manifold and Carb today, but ran into an issue with my PCV hose not being long enough to reach the new carb.

Is there a certain type of hose that has to be used for this? Google hasn't netted the best results to my query so far.

Thanks!

If you go to your local auto store and tell them you want a PCV hose they can help you out. Bring an example piece. They are a bit stronger than normal vacuum hoses and typically contain some nylon thread for additional strength.

So they only had fuel vapor line and they said it should work. Looks similar but are they correct? Will this be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
National Parts Depot list part # 6A664-4A for 19.95. It is a cut to length piece and has a preformed elbow. Assuming you are using a factory oil/PCV cap with a correct PCV valve #6A666-4. It also depends on what carb you are using. Mine is a Holley and the PCV port is in the front. I actually bought the 65 hose, #6A664-6A and added extra length with a straight plastic connecter tube. That seems to work Ok, but doesn't look as neat.

Hope that helps,

Geoff.

So they only had fuel vapor line and they said it should work. Looks similar but are they correct? Will this be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It should. Look and see if it collapses at idle. Then just keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't cracking over time.

As long as the hose manufacture states that is the application it should work. Our shop worked on a large amount of competitive make vehicles so we carried Gates hoses to service them. One of the hoses was listed for fuel/pcv use. Do not use regular vacuum hose as it will soften from the oil vapors and collapse. And as one customer found out, don't use a piece of garden hose as it will collapse also! LOL http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/fuel-system/safety-stripe-ii-return-fuel-line-pcv-evaporative-emission

As long as the hose manufacture states that is the application it should work. Our shop worked on a large amount of competitive make vehicles so we carried Gates hoses to service them. One of the hoses was listed for fuel/pcv use. Do not use regular vacuum hose as it will soften from the oil vapors and collapse. And as one customer found out, don't use a piece of garden hose as it will collapse also! LOL http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/fuel-system/safety-stripe-ii-return-fuel-line-pcv-evaporative-emission
Thanks everyone. I'll use this for now and order the for sure correct stuff.

Can't wait to get it started this afternoon and see if I got it sealed up good. Have been letting it set for 24 hours per the Peramatex Gasket Maker instructions.

Hopefully the last question regarding this...

As I said before the previous owner of my car apparently did some vacuum hose rerouting and I have it all pretty well figured out now with the new carb.

One thing I need to ask...

There are three connections on the body of the car toward the windshield. Two of them have vacuum hoses going to various functions. However the third had a hose going to a PVS valve. That valve had a hose running to the EGR system. Since I removed the EGR system, can I remove that PVS valve and the connected hoses? It seems to hook to nothing, but I just want to make sure I'm not unhooking something the car needs.

Back