pertronix ignitor /

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look at it this way..(i don't know the exact numbers). with std plug gap your car needs 20k volts to jump gap... u put a 100k coil on it.. it still needs 20k to jump gap. now if u wide'n the gap then u'll use more volts to jump.

I know nothing about the electrical stuff, but I have been in contact with Pertronix over the issue of their Ignitor III, which unless they have redesigned it, is a piece of crap for its mechanical construction for Ford distributors. What they did tell me is that no matter what ignitor you chose, it needs the matched Flamethrower coil. Is that just up-selling? I don't know, but my V8 runs way better since I added the matched Flamethrower II coil to the Ignitor II module with a plug gap of .040".

Midlife is the electrical expert, so he should know if this is really necessary, but I'm just saying what Pertronix told me.

Got Pertronix first gen for 3 decades, the most simple version and it works like a charm coupled with a 25k volts aftermarket.

It was true using carb and it looks still true running a Sniper EFI (I say looks, as the car has not move from garage since I've put it on, but it runs great and got zero misfires now that the EFI been tuned a bit for my Offy dual plane)

It doesn't add power, it simply ensures the plugs get the juice at right time.

On plugs gap tho, if you run a 351c, I find .040 gap on the tight side, your plug will have the arm like 20-30deg bend vs the .086 that is more or less how the plugs are designed to be for this engine.

If I recall, the length of the arc benefits the dispersion of the flame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Pertronix first gen for 3 decades, the most simple version and it works like a charm coupled with a 25k volts aftermarket.

It was true using carb and it looks still true running a Sniper EFI (I say looks, as the car has not move from garage since I've put it on, but it runs great and got zero misfires now that the EFI been tuned a bit for my Offy dual plane)

It doesn't add power, it simply ensures the plugs get the juice at right time.

On plugs gap tho, if you run a 351c, I find .040 gap on the tight side, your plug will have the arm like 20-30deg bend vs the .086 that is more or less how the plugs are designed to be for this engine.

If I recall, the length of the arc benefits the dispersion of the flame.
 On the Ignitor II, Pertronix recommend from .005" to .010" larger than plug manufacturers spec. I use Autolite 24's, spec gap is .035" hence I went to the middle at .040" with the Flamethrower II coil. Seems to run very well and plug read is spot on. Other plug types may well vary. A bit of trial and error may be in order.

Just sayin'

You didn't say which version you are using, but even the original Pertronix recommends bypassing the ballast resistor wire. If you did bypass the resistor wire and are using the stock coil, you may need to replace it so you match the recommended input resistance of the coil. The stock coil resistance is matched to the resistor wire. This is generally why people see improved performance with the Flamethrower coil, the matched resistance, not the higher voltage. With stock plug gap, 20,000 volts is more than enough.

wait, wait inches.. Your .040 is actually greater and so you then indeed have even better dispersion!

Sorry me using mm voodoo and I see I've even added an extra zero (duh)   :)
 Sorry, that's too funny. .086mm is .034 inch. I'm well used to working in metric, but when working on the old car, I tend to automatically switch to Imperial measurements.

You didn't say which version you are using, but even the original Pertronix recommends bypassing the ballast resistor wire. If you did bypass the resistor wire and are using the stock coil, you may need to replace it so you match the recommended input resistance of the coil. The stock coil resistance is matched to the resistor wire. This is generally why people see improved performance with the Flamethrower coil, the matched resistance, not the higher voltage. With stock plug gap, 20,000 volts is more than enough.
 Ah yes Don, I forgot the resistance wire and matching input resistance.............. something I know little about, but understand the reason.

i have an original pertronix igniter  its just a 250 six with a stock coil replacement don't know the ohm when i replaced it more 10 years ago it was just off the shelf

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock coil with the resistor wire should be fine. You may see some improvement if you bypass the resistor wire and install the recommended Pertronix Flamethrower, which will match their desired resistance.

The stock coil with the resistor wire should be fine.  You may see some improvement if you bypass the resistor wire and install the recommended Pertronix Flamethrower, which will match their desired resistance.
thank you

Back