Pit of Despair 71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpin455

Reaction score
My Car
71 sportsroof, 351C 2V, FMX, 3.50 9" Getting a 72 351C HO
67 Cougar A code with a 351C 2v.
65-70-72 GTO along with a dozen other Pontiacs.
Got this car for dirt cheap back in 93. Then it sat for a while and rusted some more. Initially I wanted to rebuild it and sell it for a profit, but it needed too much and sadly these dont bring as much as a 65-70. So now its apparently a keeper, unless someone just has to have it and is willing to fork out what I have in it, which inst likely.

It had been hit on every corner, and had so much rust there wasnt much left after I cut it all out. Here is the story in pics.

This was its resting spot for many years. Back yard on the Nebraska farm with the other cars I have collected since 1982 when I got the first one.

000_2534.jpg

Hauled it to northern Michigan in 2005 and set about fixing the extensive rust.

Start.jpg

Pict1335.jpg

Pict1333.jpg

Pict1341.jpg

Wonderful interior right here!

Pict1332.jpg

Got under the front end and found lots of nasty.

Pict1340.jpg

Pict1344.jpg

Pict1354.jpg

Pict1349.jpg

Pict1345.jpg

Pict1447.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The quarters were gone so they met the air chisel and panel ripper too.

Pict1957.jpg

Pict1448.jpg

The interior doesnt look as bad from here... yeah right.

Pict1449.jpg

Started the sand blasting and found more parts that needed replaced.

Pict1471.jpg

Pict1469.jpg

The inner fenders were toast, and since I cant get shock towers I had to just repair the rust and cracks on them. There wasnt much left of the car when I started going back together.

Pict1491.jpg

floorinstruction-1.jpg

Pict1492.jpg

A new one piece floor, that doesnt go in very easily, and it started to look like a car again..

floor-1.jpg

And all new parts around the shock towers.

Pict1952.jpg

New outer wheel houses on both sides, and I patched the inners rather than cut that much out of the car to replace them.

Mustang005.jpg

Then the quarters went back on, and for some reason the drivers side had the wheel opening in the wrong spot, the wheel house lined up and so did the rest of it, but the ends of the quarter skin were off. So it needs patched and things moved around a bit to make it right.

Mustang004.jpg

Stangdriverssidequarter.jpg

stang004.jpg

Then filler on the seams. Seems to be coming out pretty well so far, but there is lots of body work to do so those huge quarters arent a surfers dream.

stang008.jpg

stang007.jpg

It needed new doors, and since none are available in the aftermarket I got some from a guy down near Detroit. Of the four doors I got, two were useable, and he also hooked me up with other parts including some nice seats.

This is how it has looked for the last couple years as I have been doing the 65 GTO that makes this one look nice.

mustang014.jpg

PoDNov09.jpg

It still needs a trunk floor, tail panel, torque boxes, and the cowl fixed somehow. Once I get the trunk floor and tail panel done its going on my rotisserie so I can clean the underside and fix the cowl without cutting the top off it.

The Cleveland has been rebuilt for some time now, the original 2V is in my Cougar, so this one will get the 4V 4 bolt I have been hoarding since the 80s. Thinking about adding a stroker kit to the block since its fresh inside but it wasnt balanced by the guy I got it from. He was clueless about engines, the rods caps were all on the wrong rods, and thankfully the cam went flat before he could do any damage to it. I have C6s and FMXs to go in it, I rebuild those so I can choose whatever transmission I like.

Im not a body guy, I am an engine and transmission guy who cant afford to pay someone to do this stuff, and I have plenty of time to work on cars now. So I learn as I go. Now there is nothing on a muscle car I cannot rebuild, replace, modify or refinish. I would do the machine work on my engines if I had the equipment, but really I have no need for the investment since I dont do this for a living. Its just therapy, something fun to do in my free time, which is almost every day.

matey, you are an inspiration to all of us.

to bring it back to its former glory from the state of despair it was in makes you a hero in my eyes...

keep it up till she shines proud once again!

by the way, what's on the vin? ... 1F02F?

Wow, impressive. Not too many people would take on that project... most would've just sent it to the 'ole scrap yard. My hat is off to you sir.

O'my that is a lot of work, So far a job very well done..

As the years go by cars that where once deemed not worth the time/money, effort to fix whent straight to the junk yard, now days, It's amazing the lenghts people go to, with some cars...

Thanks guys. I have a welder so rust isnt a problem. Cut and paste. This one is not nearly as bad as the GTO, that one was too far gone but its almost living again. The Mustang should go quick once the Goat is out of the way.

Very nice work, Midwest winters are so hard on car with all the salt and other crap. Reminds me of a Chevelle I did. I think 75% of that car was new sheet metal. lol

Who did you go to for the new steel?

Back