Pollution Equipment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I wish I could help, I can't. But I can commiserate !. I found a low mileage 73 Mach 1 Q code and picked it up. Previous owner had taken off the intake manifold and lost interest. Since the car was so original otherwise I wanted to put it back just as it left the factory. After searching all over, numerous phone calls, buying shop manuals and parts books, etc, ordering parts that did not match the ones I did know came on the car, I gave up. I just never felt confident I was going to ever get all the right parts, on top of the fact that it probably wouldn't run very well with them. Good luck !

I find it ODD that all the components piece by piece would be listed on a Marti report as well. Seems unrealistic to me. After all it was Mr. Marti that called me out on the "truth" when I gave him the codes /paint code on my 67 stating that it didnt exist and that I had MIS-READ what was probably a scuffed up data tag. if any of you saw the data tag your 1st grader could read it. So I had to INSIST that he run the information as I provided it and I would accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for the results and pay for the service no questions ask.

Sure enough it comes back with 35 being painted that color in 67 and the jackleg never apologized for being rude either.
Can you imagine how many people approach Kevin with similar stories, but are full of the same crap that eBay classic car sellers are made of? Believe me - the great majority of people out there do not take our information as accurately or seriously as we do. When you are on the receiving end of the eternal Doo-Doo Pile of Wild Owner Voodoo Orginality Claims, you're bound to become suspicious and preemptively hit the "B.S. owner" button for self-protection.

Mind you, Kevin has put more of his life into maintaining those invoices than most of us put into our cars. Kevin will spend hours producing an Elite report, just to make sure an abbreviation on one of his reproduction window stickers is correct for the production period of the car he's making the report for - and he's the only person on this planet with both the knowledge and the desire to do it right.

The guy breaks his back doing this stuff for the community. I'm sorry, but having worked in conjunction with him, I can assure you that he does not deserve these comments.

-Kurt

P.S.: Nothing personal intended, of course - I still think you're a great guy too. Just defending a fellow who breaks his back for us - for comparatively little in return.

Last edited by a moderator:
it will always be a robbing peter to pay paul situation.

a perfectly running optimized engine will have higher emissions of some things then one not. then there is optimization for horsepower or torque again nothing overlaps, it is either/or.

you go back to that time pre cats and other emissions devices that catch exhaust gases and computers had yet to even be known by most people.

think about the smog issues, and leaded gas... so they(gov) wanted to optimize being able to breath air with cars in heavy traffic and stop and go under 20 mph where most cars live in cities.

so the government says to the car manufacturers we need you to to produce a product that makes the air cleaner and we don't care how or you cannot sell it because people in cities are dying. this was actually pretty true, if you lived in los angles or new york city in the late 1960s you would be hacking up a lung during rush hour in the morning and night. it was so bad the carbon buildup was actually eating the mortar out of buildings and dissolving brick when it rained(acid rain in the city was no joke even into the mid 1980s)

basically car density reached a level were they needed to do something to slam the hammer down knowing it would take 20 years to really kick in.

thus the cars had to be detuned. they knew some people would get around it but the idea was throw enough at the wall that some would stick and make a change over time.

the auto industry did not recover Horsepower until the 1990s (20 years) based on new technological improvements, the change from carbs to fuel injection was arguably emissions control based.

with a carb we all know it gives the incorrect amount of air and fuel at all times, it just gets you close and it is easy to tune either way lean or rich to do what you kind of want.

so basically at the start I'm guessing they felt nitric oxide and nitrogen dioxide was more of a danger then co2 and other gases. they knew they needed time to come up with egrs and catylitic convertors to patch over the other gases.

well if you look back you can see the divide. you had people outside of cities wondering what the hell was going on why the cars lost so much horsepower. people inside cities getting less emissions over time but also not understanding what was going on and everyone complaining that cars got smaller and had less power, and it was the governments fault which was true. the problem was just like government over time they went outside their own power and just slammed the thumb down mandating impossible standards that people would have to pay for. this included safety regulations.

at the same time they did save lives but it took a long learning curve.

if you want a car that is clean to the environment, then it must run, lean and hot and be detuned. and it will smell sour but have less junk floating out the tailpipe.

if you want a car that maximized power then it must run rich, cold, and have lots of timing, and it will be sweet smelling with soot and other crap you don't want to breath in.

course this applies to engine design as a 1:1 ratio in the valves increased MPG and decreased emissions where before they optimized power and the intake and exhaust valves were sized 1:3 sometimes.

today since there are few classic cars compared to new cars on the road we can get away with making them run like the old days. but if you go to a REALLY big classic car show on a day with no wind you will feel like you smoked a pack of cigarettes, and taste everything in the back of your throat when you go to leave in your new car. :)

some even basic emissions controls are actually a good thing, pcvs are good at removing water from fuel and reducing varnish inside the engine.

a vapor can catches evaporating fuel. DVCV is an emergency safety if the engine starts to overheat. a vacuum advance increases mpg.

even the stock air cleaner acts as a emissions device but actually helps with cold starts and double dip fuel from a carb and back pressure which can be used for good things. this is the difference between a street car that you want running as well as possible all year round and a track car where you just want to gogogo and hope it doesn't rain or the temperature drops.

I guess they never calculated total emissions. The things that EPA required resulted in great reductions in gas mileage and therefore increased emissions. A 1968 302 would get 23 mpg. By 1977 that number was more like 17. Another fine example of what happens when the government says they know best are going to save us from ourselves. Chuck

I find it ODD that all the components piece by piece would be listed on a Marti report as well. Seems unrealistic to me. After all it was Mr. Marti that called me out on the "truth" when I gave him the codes /paint code on my 67 stating that it didnt exist and that I had MIS-READ what was probably a scuffed up data tag. if any of you saw the data tag your 1st grader could read it. So I had to INSIST that he run the information as I provided it and I would accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for the results and pay for the service no questions ask.

Sure enough it comes back with 35 being painted that color in 67 and the jackleg never apologized for being rude either.
Can you imagine how many people approach Kevin with similar stories, but are full of the same crap that eBay classic car sellers are made of? Believe me - the great majority of people out there do not take our information as accurately or seriously as we do. When you are on the receiving end of the eternal Doo-Doo Pile of Wild Owner Voodoo Orginality Claims, you're bound to become suspicious and preemptively hit the "B.S. owner" button for self-protection.

Mind you, Kevin has put more of his life into maintaining those invoices than most of us put into our cars. Kevin will spend hours producing an Elite report, just to make sure an abbreviation on one of his reproduction window stickers is correct for the production period of the car he's making the report for - and he's the only person on this planet with both the knowledge and the desire to do it right.

The guy breaks his back doing this stuff for the community. I'm sorry, but having worked in conjunction with him, I can assure you that he does not deserve these comments.

-Kurt

P.S.: Nothing personal intended, of course - I still think you're a great guy too. Just defending a fellow who breaks his back for us - for comparatively little in return.
I assure you that when I called I presented only the facts he ask for without any added flavor as in what i thought the car was or was not. Frankly I had "no idea" what the car was and THAT my friend is why I BOUGHT HIS SERVICE, so I could learn about the details. For him to abruptly call me out indicates he indeed was rude at best and to call me out for the truth was not only impolite, he was unprofessional!! I could really give a damn if he had 1000 bad days or phone calls, I did nothing but offer my details. So yessir he IS an AZZ!!!He deserves EXACTLY what I'm dishing out. Just because he offers a unique service does not EXCUSE him of his rude azz persona.

For the record I've ordered 2 other reports however I requested the lady that answers the phone so I wouldnt have to engage him, and she has been pleasant.

finding these items will be near impossible to locate. duplication is not worth your time or money. If someone has it your lucky if you can afford it you have more money than most to dispose.

The California cars had all the above and front to back returns, to the fuel cell. The fuel cell itself had a bladder installed in it, near impossible to duplicate along with a unit mounted in the trunk to provide air flow to the tank and returns to the front.

kinda cool stuff but not really. True Gubmint disaster.
1971 Mach 1, 1971 Spotsroof Mustang does not need to be smogged in California. I own both. They both have a PVC Value and that's it. The last year I smogged my Mach 1 Mustang it out performed the brand new cars for that year. Considering it really doesn't have smog equipment both the smog guy and I thought this is amazing and speaks to us that the emissions of the older cars are way better than the newer ones, which means they are doing something wrong nowadays with additional smog equipment and or building the vehicles!

1971 Mach 1, 1971 Spotsroof Mustang does not need to be smogged in California. I own both. They both have a PVC Value and that's it. The last year I smogged my Mach 1 Mustang it out performed the brand new cars for that year. Considering it really doesn't have smog equipment both the smog guy and I thought this is amazing and speaks to us that the emissions of the older cars are way better than the newer ones, which means they are doing something wrong nowadays with additional smog equipment and or building the vehicles!
All cars 1975 and older don't need to pass smog in California.

Back