Ponies in the Smokies 2024

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Ponies in the Smokies is only a couple weeks away, and I was wondering if anyone else is going? I'm a complete novice when it comes to car shows, but I've entered the Rickster in the show just to see how it might do. I'll be there for several days, so if any of you are heading to Sevierville, TN that week/weekend, let me know.

https://poniesinthesmokies.com/2119-2/

This is the first I've heard of the event. I drove my '72 Mach 1 down the dragon's tail in 1978 or 79. This was before I put the 3.91 Detroit Locker rear in it. I had 3.25 gears with a traction lock and a brand new freshly built 4V Cleveland with a '71 CJ cam and '70 M code heads, factory 4V intake and a 700DP Holley, Hooker long tubes, 2 1/4 duals. Fun on those hairpin curves.

It's about an hour and a half drive for me, so not too bad. I've wanted to go for the last few years, but something has always come up. Now that the Rickster is done, I've got a great excuse to go, and so I am. I hope to see you there, 72MustangSprint.

It is a good show. I attended in 2021 and did well. There are alot of driving activities in concert with the show that is a good mix for all to consider what there interests are. I would recommend it to anyone interested.

Ponies in the Smokies is only a couple weeks away, and I was wondering if anyone else is going? I'm a complete novice when it comes to car shows, but I've entered the Rickster in the show just to see how it might do. I'll be there for several days, so if any of you are heading to Sevierville, TN that week/weekend, let me know.
Ron - Good Luck next week at PITS and a big congrats on a great entry with the Rickster. I suspect you both will do well! We can't wait to hear an update on the event.

We made it to Ponies in the Smokies and got the obligatory picture of the Rickster at the wall near Quaker Steak and Lube.

PITS 5.jpg

There were over 1000 mustangs at the show, and it seemed like 80% or more were 2010 and newer. There were a few 71-73 Mustangs, though.
PITS 4.jpg

At PITS, they give out moonshine jugs as trophies. The Rickster won the jug for Best 71-73.
PITS 1.jpgPITS 2.jpg
Overall, it was a pretty good weekend.

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_4317.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4316.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4315.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4312.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4313.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4314.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4310.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4309.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4191.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4190.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4189.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4188.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Congrats on the win Ron. Well deserved for sure. Their trophies are really cool. Definitely a great conversation piece with folks. Hope you had a great time. I do agree though that the majority of the show is newer models. While I respect other years and I am thankful people are keeping the mustang name alive and in production it just is not where my interests lie in the Gen1 classics. Glad you did well and the Rickster will start adding those awards to the shelf.

Back