possible cam?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
I talked to lunati today and they recommended this cam for my new build: Hyd. Roller Ad. Dur. In/Ex 272/280, [email protected] 221/229, Gross lift .592/.611, LSA/ICL 112/106, RPM 2200-6200. With standard stroke, cc heads, stock deck minus cleanup, flat top forged pistons and proper exhaust and induction, could this engine make 450hp? I am sparing no expense on this build so things like oil pump, dizzy, timing chain etc. will all be top notch. I am running a 2800 stall, with 3:50 gears and 235/60R15 tires. Thanks gents! PS: with this kind of lift do I need stud girdles?

Yesm 450 should be easy with that cam and proper compression ratio.

It would benefit from a stud girdle. It is probably on the borderline of needing one, but that also depends on your driving habits.

The Kohler on my lawnmower should have a stud girdle !!!

Unless I had a brain fart and missed it, what motor?

Sounds like a mean cam to me. Hydraulic roller is a good call, very durable.

Will e also has good point, if you don't care about price, a stroker crank would massively increase your engines power and torque on the bottom end.

Most people stroke to a 408 just for reference if that is what you choose.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ok, thats where you guys got me, I don't really want to stroke it as I believe in classic iron. I have considered it, but I have always wanted to build a Cleveland using as many of the stock pieces as possible. I know there are many things that have to be done to achieve power, but the stock crank and rods can do what I want to do without much work.

I also prefer a stroker motor. 393 and 408 seem to be the norm. It I have also heard of an offset crank to make a 377. Not that 25 inches will make a huge difference but I would certaiy think about it considering the breathing ability of the Cleveland heads. If you look at an Edelbrock 351w RPM kit, they advertise a 351w with 9.5:1, RPM intake, heads and a cam (224/232 & .050"-112'), they are claiming 400hp. I would expect at least that much from a Cleveland of the specs you mentioned..

Back