Power steering Fluid Cooler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
As I scan the inter-webs for pic of original 351© engines, I've notices a few with coolers for the power steering fluid.

Currently I have the pretty standard set up, but I'm not sure it's original.

You can see that in photo and right above are the bolts for the A/C compressor.

Different power steering pump required?

Thanks

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the power steering cooler that would have come draped over the a/c compressor was removed with the a/c compressor and brackets.

I also see that your cowl brace is missing.

Am I missing something? Where is the cooler? I see two lines. Thats it.

It looks like the power steering cooler that would have come draped over the a/c compressor was removed with the a/c compressor and brackets.

I also see that your cowl brace is missing.
Yup there is a lot that is missing.

Am I missing something? Where is the cooler? I see two lines. Thats it.
Yes that's it. I've read that some don't think it's necessary and other were pretty sure Ford didn't put the on for "looks".

What I meant to ask was is this set up, the proper set up for adding cooler or is or was there a different power steering pump.

Thanks

Tim

I am interested in know the pattern for cooler or no cooler. I have a couple 73 cars that have air con. and both have coolers, one an H code automatic original a FMX changed to C-4 the other a Q 4 speed. I just bought a 73, H code automatic with C-6 with power steering no air and have the marti so know it was factory but no cooler. Was it only on air cars? Where I live we have lots of curves so a cooler is good. Me and gal friend took her Honda Hybrid through the mountains a couple weeks back and a light came on the dash. We looked it up in the owners manual and it was telling us the electric power steering had overheated due to the curvy road. The $4,000 battery also died on the same trip. It died on the last day of the factory warranty so it was free, lol what luck. So much for saving on gas.

Couple pics of the cars attached. You can see the different bracket when you don't have air it is huge and ugly for sure.

David

DSC00125.JPG

steering coolers were an option from what i understand. my A/C car did not come with a cooler. I added one to my car later as it was just a simple bolt on.

originally the extra long return line for the power steering box was U'd on top of the drivers side cowl brace that acted as a primitive cooler before returning back to the pump.

someone told me that the 'competition suspension' option included the variable ratio power steering box and included the power steering cooler. however i have seen cars with the competition suspension option that did not have coolers. the owners claimed it never had one.

there are 2 different coolers one designed to be bolted on A/C cars over the compressor and the one designed for cars without A/C.

ford had a revision to the return line in later cars, originally the return line was U'd on top of the drivers cowl brace then later they shortened the return line and just left it next to the high pressure line going to the box.

for timsweet the picture shows the typical later setup for the power steering lines, short without the hose going to the cowl brace.

now you can easily install a cooler if you wish.

for the variable power steering box there was another power steering pump that had a different tag on it. HBA-CG was used with the variable box

and HBA-CF was used with the standard box, nobody knows if the pumps are in fact different or not internally.

the variable box was tagged SPA-T or SPA-V. the normal box was SPA-S and SPA-U.

non a/c cooler

p34pscooler.jpg

A/C cooler

pscoolercj91.jpg

if anybody has more info feel free to chime in, i just go by what i found in my searches.

I have a 72 H code originally with a FMX , A/C car, no competition suspension.

as for requiring a different pump, no, not that i am aware of i use standard power steering pump with the cooler, works fine.

typical hose layouts for the coolers

PScoolerDiagrams.jpg

I guess this is one mystery that will not be solved unless someone can find the Ford documents. The H code 73 I have is a 48,000 mile original with air no competition suspension but has a cooler. My 73 Mach 1 has competition suspension and air and has cooler. The 72 Q convertible has comp. suspension and has a cooler but no air with automatic.

Lots of variables that we will probably never understand.

David

IIRC, the cooler had to do with the Extra or Heavy Duty cooling option. I would have to dig around in my files to see if I have anything on it.

The pic posted by 72HCode applies only to the 429 engine, the non-A/C 302/351 coolers were mounted to the top of the power steering bracket. I'll post pics later.

I have a 72 Q code Mach 1 w/c-6 auto trans. It has a/c & power steering with both the long line that goes over the shock tower brace & a p/s cooler. I read somewhere that the long power steering lines were used until they ran out of that stock. Then they got a different vendor to make the lines shorter. That maybe true or not, who knows. My car was built 2/2/72, so sometime after that they switched to the shorter hose. Why they used a p/s cooler on some cars & not on others, I don't know.

Here are some pics.Air Cleaner Resto 018.JPGAir Cleaner Resto 025.JPGnew carb 005.JPG

Back